Graphics Tablet recommendations
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Graphics Tablet recommendations

Graphics Tablet recommendations

Hi folks, I'm in the market for a graphics tablet. After some brief shopping around, I've come across the Wacom Intuos 2 4x5. Seems pretty good, but I wanted to get some suggestions from ya'll as well, be it a brand or particular model or some pointers as to what I should look out for.

I haven't got loads of money to spend on it and the model mentioned above is around AUD$350 (USD$227).

Many thanks

a couple of the guys in the office use the wacom tablets and they seem to be pretty good. one chap has what appears to be a previous model of the one you are looking at [about 4x5"] and he uses it for microstation cad work on twin monitors under windows2000 with no probs.

he said that it works fine, nothing fancy but it functions properly and hasn't been a problem
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

I have been using "Wacom graphire" for 4 years now, NO problemo!
    Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

HOME

Thanks guys

Looks like Wacom is the way to go.

I would consider the 6 X 8 Intuos2. It doesnít cost that much more and has a lot more surface (like almost 3X). If you set a 4 X 5 (actually 3.75 X 5) so that you can reach things like your Photoshop tools easily it is too sensitive for detail work. And if you make it sensitive enough you are always running out of real estate. Iíve had a 6 X 8 for years and am considering an 8 X 10 so I can reach my tools on my dual monitors.

6 X 8 was always fine for a single monitor for what I use it for, but Iím still running in to the edges a lot when Iím set for fine work. Artists prefer larger tablets but Iím not an artist. I have the absolute mode (where a spot on a tablet corresponds to a spot on the screen) mapped to a smaller space Ė about 4 X 5. In that mode I can move around quickly when I am just manipulating stuff. The relative mode (where it works like a mouse) is set to be more sensitive for fine work and use the whole tablet. I set one of the buttons on the pen to switch back and forth between them. 6 X 8 seems to be barely enough when set for doing detailed work.

Thanks slipe, that's really handy info.

I'd love to get the larger model, but it's AUD$210 more expensive. After reading what you've said though, it's probably worth my while waiting a little longer and investing in the larger model.

Originally posted by Bink
    After reading what you've said though, it's probably worth my while waiting a little longer and investing in the larger model.
    Just one personís opinion. There are plenty of people who find the 4 X 5s work fine and often point out that they take less desk space Ė which is true. I use a tablet in my lap. If you intend putting it on your desk you might measure out the tablets and see what will fit your situation.

For me, the primary reason for using a tablet is fine control for making selections, fine touch-ups etc. I donít find the pressure sensitivity overwhelmingly useful for most image editing. It is great for drawing, but I donít draw worth a darn. I get more consistent results in dodge and burn for example by setting the intensity very low, turning off the pressure on the pen and making multiple passes. I do dodge and burn much better with the tablet because of the control, but not because of the pressure sensitivity.

So with my concept of a tablet as primarily a control tool I am drawn to larger tablets.

Just wanted to thank you all for your help. I'm now the proud owner of the Wacom Intuos2 4x5

I stuck with the smaller size due to storage and desk space limitations. Later on when I get a bigger place, I may consider a larger model if this one proves insufficient.

Thread Information