Need to buy/build a server, recommendations?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need to buy/build a server, recommendations?

bolisticus Guest

Question Need to buy/build a server, recommendations?

Can anyone recommend either a particular pre-built server, or what kind of parts I should buy to build my own? This is going to be a production server and VERY high reliability is required, but I want to save our company $ at the same time. We're talkin multiple power supplies, RAID 5 array, and it's purpose will be application/file serving. Thanks in advance

We use a lot of Compaq(HP) Proliant servers - they are very good.

Save money and VERY high reliability don't really go hand in hand ...

Obviously, you're on the right path - redundant hotswappable components. If you're doing it for business, I would really recommend a "pre-built" since you can hold the company you get it from accountable for service, warranty, etc. and you can get a service plan to meet your needs - such as 4 hour guranteed response for parts, etc.

Take a look at a duplexed RAID 5 with hotswappable - 2 RAID 5 Arrays with online spares.

Redundant hot swappable power supplies. Redundant and "Teamable" NIC's with multiple connections to the network.

Also, depending on your service and support plan (if any) you may or may not want to have spare parts on hand.

HTH
    POS

Super Moderator of networkstoday.com, Moderator aticertify.net, Moderator at techsupportforum.com

Following may be of interest,
    ServerWatch.com and PCMag.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I second the Compaq Proliant series. You definately get what you pay for! Literally *everything* is redundant and hot swappable, right down to the CPUs, so even if something does fail, your network stays up.

Of course, you could alternately get an old pentium 200 and throw linux on there with a simple 2-disk mirrored raid and get probably 364.5 days uptime
    Last edited by grover; May 22nd, 2003 at 07:35 AM.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

bolisticus Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the links Shinma. I'll check out the Compaq servers there. I actually was kinda thinkin about running a unix or linux version off this server. The main database software that will be running off this server is UNIX based, but we're running a ported version for windows right now. they suggested we run solaris or aix off it. Course I don't know the first thing about them. Could I still do a home built server if I'm running UNIX like grover said? Is it possible to buy server cases with the redundant ps's and set up a raid 5 array on my own?

bolisticus,
    Is this thread still active?
    Query due to your following POST...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

bolisticus Guest
    Actually I was checking that server case and discovered it only has a single 250w ps. A server case, but not server components. Maybe I'll just post my UNIX related hardware questin in a different section. Thanks

Originally posted by bolisticus
    ... Is it possible to buy server cases with the redundant ps's and set up a raid 5 array on my own?

Possible, but check to see if it would be cost effective.

Some manufacturers that may fit your requirements would be AOpen and Elan Vital, I believe.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information