Monitor or Gfxcard faulty ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Monitor or Gfxcard faulty ?

Monitor or Gfxcard faulty ?

Hi just recently registered to this forum, erhm so hi all

Well i have now had a problem two times and it can be explained something like this:

After working some time on my computer, suddenly my Sony G400 trinitron monitor, makes a real high "click'ish" sound, and goes black. It does restore itself within seconds, but then the image is not stretched to the edges anymore, the contrast seems very low, and colors are not vivid and bright anymore, rather muddy and with a blue cast all over. The resolution and refreshrate has not changed after the "clicksounds". After some hours I am able to restore the image and run for several weeks before it happens again.

The monitor is about 3-4 years old and run approx 12 hours pr. day. Of course I could get some weird signals or something from the graphic card, but that is just a couple of months old, and besides the random "clicks" it has run fluid and with no problems whatsoever. The graphic card is an ATI Radeon 9600 something.

The click sounds can best be descriped as the one you hear when you turn on a trinitron monitor. The sounds just seems a little more loud and "electric".

Have anyone tried similar problems or does anyone have some experience with monitors so they could confirm that something is def. about to blow on my trusty old Sony?

Any comments are appricated.

Regards Thomas

Howdy.

It's the monitor. My old Trinitron (a Multican 20" thingy) started doing the same thing after about 4 years. It would just randomly go "snap!" and then when the screen came back it would be terribly blurry and take a while to get back to normal. What was was interesting was that it happened more on hot days than cold ones (IIRC) and just like yours, there were several days (perhaps even months sometimes) between instances.

Could be something to do with dust build-up and perhaps something that a monitor repair centre can fix quite easily.

MuFu.

Sounds like the same problem indeed.. so what happend in the end?

Did you sell it or did it suddenly die totally?

If so, how long did the last "burnout" take?

Well here's the weird thing - a mate said he'd take it off my hands for 50. He was in the same hall as me at uni and never had the problem in 6-7 months of use. The big difference was that he ran it at 1154x864@75Hz whereas I ran it at 1280x1024@85Hz, which was out of spec but fine for years with good screen stability and none of the problems I mentioned above. I suspect it may have been a little too much for far too long.

MuFu.

Hehe still sounds like the same problem..
    Sony recommend 1280X1024@90hz.
    I run the more "mathmatical normal" 1280X960@100hz.
    Hhmm..
    Last edited by Epoxy5; May 20th, 2003 at 10:37 AM.

Hehe, yeah that was a while ago and now I prefer circles instead of ovals too.

Try dropping to 80-85Hz and see how it goes.

MuFu.

Thread Information