hard drive for in-car PC
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: hard drive for in-car PC

hard drive for in-car PC

I'm trying to aquire parts to build an in-car PC with an LCD screen. The only problem is that I'm not sure if a regular hard drive can handle the bounces and vibration of driving. I mean it's not THAT bad, but it is a lowered sporty car with stiff suspension so when you hit a pot hole you can feel it pretty good. So what do you all think, could a regular off the shelf 20 or 40 gig drive handle some bumps (performance is not an issue at all, basically just playing mp3's mostly and maybe a bit DVD playback and low-end gaming). Also are there specialty drives made for bumps and vibration (although keeping in mind a very cheap budget, don't want to spend more than a few hundred for the whole system).

Segate has some pretty good shock numbers. That combined with a spring mounted cady system should get your HD isolated from the major shocks.

2.10.5 Shock
    All shock specifications assume that the drive is mounted securely with the
    input shock applied at the drive mounting screws. Shock may be applied in the
    X, Y or Z axis.
    2.10.5.1 Operating shock
    These drives comply with the performance levels specified in this document
    when subjected to a maximum operating shock of 63 Gs based on half-sine
    shock pulses of 2 msec. Shocks should not be repeated more than two times
    per second.
    2.10.5.2 Nonoperating shock
    The nonoperating shock level that the drive can experience without incurring
    physical damage or degradation in performance when subsequently put into
    operation is 350 Gs based on a nonrepetitive half-sine shock pulse of 2 msec
    duration.
    2.10.6 Vibration
    All vibration specifications assume that the drive is mounted securely with the
    input vibration applied at the drive mounting screws. Vibration may be applied
    in the X, Y or Z axis.
    2.10.6.1 Operating vibration
    The following table lists the maximum vibration levels that the drive may
    experience while meeting the performance standards specified in this document.
    2.10.6.2 Nonoperating vibration
    The following table lists the maximum nonoperating vibration that the drive
    may experience without incurring physical damage or degradation in performance
    when subsequently put into operation.
    522 Hz 0.25-inch displacement (zero to peak)
    22350 Hz 0.5 Gs acceleration (zero to peak)
    522 Hz 1.0-inch displacement (zero to peak)
    22350 Hz 5.0 Gs acceleration (zero to peak)
    Last edited by Leoslocks; May 22nd, 2003 at 08:29 PM.

IIRC, the Molex Silentdrive suspends the drive in mid-air (well, as close to as possible in the confines of a PC case)

Ask MuFu about them, as he has one
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Originally posted by Leoslocks
    Segate has some pretty good shock numbers. That combined with a spring mounted cady system should get your HD isolated from the major shocks.
    are you talkin SCSI or IDE... cuz I would prefer to go IDE just because I'd rather save money and performance is not that important

I was editing my post and Poof, two replys...

IDE drives, 40 gig

Thread Information