I need help finding a cooler!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I need help finding a cooler!!!

I need help finding a cooler!!!

I broke the tab on my motherboard most of the way off....now I need a cooler that connects to the other 4 tabs (it's for Athlon XP). I'd appreciate links to cooling stores. I really only have like $15-$20, but I need a cooler bad...this one is hanging on a thread and I am trippin out about it.

Pretty vague. Is it a 1400+ or a 3200+? Do you overclock? Do you want something quiet? Does that price range include shipping?

I'd say just about anything would be OK, but if you want it to be cheap and quiet I'd look for something like these:

http://www.directron.com/cp57jd1b.html

http://www.directron.com/dy1206bh610.html

When you are looking for something that cheap with three lug clip on both sides that cools good and is not too loud, you are pretty limited. If you upped your price range to the 20-30 dollar range your choices would be pretty good.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I believe that the Thermaltake Volcano 9? makes use of three clip areas on each side.
    Taisol has at least one model making use of multiple clip areas as well.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Yes but that cooler costs into the $25-30 price range, like many other good ones, including the SK-7. For under $20 that does not use a very noisy 60mm fan and a copper base or insert, your choises are pretty limitted. You could find a cheaper one and just slap a larger fan on it, but then you have the expense of a seperate fan. This brings down the target price of the cooler quite a bit. Then you are into thick finned all aluminum cheap heatsinks that do not perform very good.

These were the only two I could find at Directron and NewEgg out of probably 200 heatsinks total. I even checked Plycon and BestByte. I even checked CoolerGuys and they had a few for $20, but they charge $7 to ship. There were a couple of other places that I found off pricewatch, like CoolerStar and OC Systems with similar results. There are a few more, but I could not locate them in the few minutes I searched.

Of the two I listed above, the first is a CoolerMaster for $11 and I am not sure how good it will perform:

The other is a Dynotron for $15, which will likely perform a little better... maybe:

Likely the shipping will be about $5 or so. I've only ordered cases through Directron, but they baught up CaseETC, which I used to get heatsinks and fans from. CaseETC used to have lots of case mod stuff and water cooling, so it filled out Directron's inventory pretty well as they sold mostly cases and power supplys, plus computer parts. It is a pretty good company with a good Resellor Rating.

I picted those two because they had at least a copper base, the noise levels were pretty good, they had 3 tab clips, and they were around $15-20 shipped.
    Last edited by Todd a; May 18th, 2003 at 10:04 AM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Just by chance I ran across the other site I was looking for, SVC:

http://www.svc.com/soca4cool.html

They have an SK-6+ on sale for $10. It takes a 60mm fan but is solid copper. They also sell an adaptor to convert this heatsink for a 70mm fan for $5, but the only 70mm fans they have are the TMD ones for $10. I'd just get the YS-Tech 60x25mm fan that generates 24CFM at 34db:

They also have a Volcano 9 for only $19. That is a great deal:

Here is another possibility,Thermaltake TR2-M1 w/ Tri-LED Fan for $12:

They also have an AX-7 for $18, but it does not come with a fan. It performs ver good for that price and can mount any standard 80mm fan:

Now that sould give you a few more options, but a few of these are pushing your price range a bit.
    Last edited by Todd a; May 18th, 2003 at 12:15 PM.

Nice selections Todd a.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Almost makes me want to go out and buy another cooler!

Thread Information