Cheater, cheater......
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cheater, cheater......

Cheater, cheater......

Excellent article about online cheating among the gaming community over at Toms Hardware.

Click Here

A good read!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Yea, I read it earlier; it was pretty good. It really is a big problem, especially on CS. Cheating is so prevelent; just about everyone who has more kills than deaths is accused of using a hack. It's a lose - lose situation if you play fair: novices have no chance against an experienced wallhacker, and good players get kicked after being accused of hacking.

That was a good informative article venom.
    I haven't played a game online since 1999, when I spent the whole summer entrenched in TFC. It's all I wanted to do, day & night. That was with dialup, which became less & less useful due to horrendous lag. I quit playing because it was so bad. Now, I'd really like to get back into online gaming, since I've finally got DSL and would actually have fun, but I keep hearing about these scumbag cheaters both in magazines & forums. It just doesn't seem like it would be any fun knowing this is going on. I really don't believe there was much of that happening when I played TFC. I don't mind if someone cheats in a SP game, I'll do it occaisionally, but it really does detract from the enjoyment of a game. I think the responsibility is on the game developers to prevent this sort of thing to the extent that it's feasible, especially if it's an online-only game, and most definitely if there's some fee involved.
    I really don't understand the mentality of a person who enjoys cheating against other who aren't. Must be a bunch of agnst-ridden 13-year olds who need to get laid.

Originally posted by slingblade
    I think the responsibility is on the game developers to prevent this sort of thing to the extent that it's feasible
    That's the trouble - "to the extent that it's feasible" isn't "completely". A well-written wrapper program will adjust the running code in memory and intercept any verification attempt to return a valid response. The only way to totally eliminate cheating is with a thin-client model, something that's obviously totally unsuited for any sort of real-time game.

Well there isnt any good defense against it.

When I used to eat drink and sleep QIII I did find a good offense against it....

I was really good...almost at the level of someone using a cheat...I had cable, and knew the levels well enough to run them backwards with my eyes closed. I hardly missed either.

My strategy was kinda cheap but it stopped the cheaters on the enemy team.

I would essentially decide who the best play on the other team was, grab a rail. And make his life pure living hell.

This always kept their "ringer" busy while our teams "ringer" could focus on capturing the flag.

Yea...it pissed people off...but it was effective.
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Western Digital 8mg cache ATA-133/160G/7200 HD
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

Dr. Data :

Thats a good strategy.

I find that the software counter-cheat measures usually result in false hits and odd things happening. To the point where admins remove the software.

Pity, but sadly true.

Data sounds a bit like me, I love to go after the one who has the top score on the other team. Over and over I will try and find that one.

I am not at all that great with my aim, and don't see how anyone can aim as well as some do.

I was involved with a clan for a while and one of guys who would get left behind to defend the flag, UT's LoGrav Insta CTF, well, he'd defend by himself and no one would usually get past him. We all for the longest and other clans to, thought he was just an excellent player. Well, one night the other clan backed up a match, investigated it well enough to say he was botting, and sure enough once we all reviewed it we all had to say there was no way for him to do what he was doing without botting. Finally, he admitted he had a hack and quit playing with us. As far as we know he is not playing, but I'd bet under another name he is.

Whats strange is that others in the clan said they would not tolerate a botter and couldn't understand why anyone would. Well, these guys still allow him in the forum and such. For myself and a few others, we all quit and now play with different names and are aliasing out there and just having fun. The clan time was fun for awhile but to much bull sh;;;;; going on. My opinion is that so many bot and it is ridiculous.
    Asus A7V8X mobo bios 1013
    Athlon MobilXP 2600 + @ 15x167
    vcore 1.7v
    ThermalTake Volcano 12 Extreme
    Enermax 350W PS
    GEIL PC3200 CL2 3-3-6
    Seagate Barracuda 40g hd
    Saphire Radeon 9800Pro Atlantis 128
    core378/mem337.5 default
    Catalyst 5.12/dx9.0c
    Win 2000pro
    Liteon 40x12x48 burner
    Liteon DVD
    Old floppy
    Logitech MX310 Optical
    DSL modem and (one old dial up for work purposes)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Audio

Originally posted by Tuttle
    That's the trouble - "to the extent that it's feasible" isn't "completely". A well-written wrapper program will adjust the running code in memory and intercept any verification attempt to return a valid response. The only way to totally eliminate cheating is with a thin-client model, something that's obviously totally unsuited for any sort of real-time game.
    With the online-only game model becoming more and more commonplace, companies' revenue is also becoming more and more dependent on people buying and of course playing (and maybe becoming addicted to) these games. If this cheating plague were to reach a certain saturation level, I think a lot of folks would just quit playing and find some single-player entertainment. There could eventually be legal ramifications, I would expect. With both consumers (who can't enjoy the games they bought) and publishers (who can't sell their games anymore because the experience is tainted) taking these cheatin' b@st@rds to the cleaners. It makes more sense than a lot of lawsuits we hear about from time to time.
    But, I'm not qualified to even make a guess as to the percentage of people cheating out there. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal, but with the populace in general becoming less honorable by the day, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Thread Information