Colin McRae Rally 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colin McRae Rally 3

Colin McRae Rally 3

I'm interested in this game to add to my racing ensemble. Does anyone know the release date? GameSpot says it was suppose to be released on 3/17 or something.

Any ideas?
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Can you remeber a racing game that's come out within the last year that maintains a constant framerate on a high end PC? I'm so jaded by PC racing games and their peaks and gulfs in framerates that I only buy console racers (provided the framerate is either locked at 60 or 30). I've been spoiled ever since Gran Turismo 3 has been released. No PC game has tried to capture that fluidity and realism of motion. I'm sure most of the people reading this could care less though- so long as it runs above 60fps most of the time.

I think CM3 will be out at the very end of April or early May.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
    Can you remeber a racing game that's come out within the last year that maintains a constant framerate on a high end PC?
    Rallisport Challenge? NFS:HP2?

MuFu.

NSF:HP- nope

I dare anyone with a high-end system to monitor the framerate and find that it varies from as low as 40fps to as high as 120fps. I was pretty pissed off because there's no reason a high end system shouldn't be able to run this game at at least 60fps all the time- poor optimization on the part of the programmers. I haven't been able to use vsync and maintain at least 60fps constantly since NFS- PU.

Rallisport Challenge does run well though.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
    NSF:HP- nope

I dare anyone with a high-end system to monitor the framerate and find that it varies from as low as 40fps to as high as 120fps. I was pretty pissed off because there's no reason a high end system shouldn't be able to run this game at at least 60fps all the time- poor optimization on the part of the programmers. I haven't been able to use vsync and maintain at least 60fps constantly since NFS- PU.
    I might re-install it to check. I must admit I didn't notice any major slowdowns, although dips down to 40fps dont tend to bother me that much (except in an FPS).

Rallisport Challenge does run well though.
    Yeah - since sorting the stuttering (via the H/W accel slider and then the Cat 3.2s) it's been silky. Very impressive game.

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

MuFu,

Do you see any mods coming out for RalliSport Challenge? I have it for XBox and its an excellent game, Im just looking for a reason to sell it so I can get the PC version instead

Are there any options/cars that were added from the XBox version?

I know, I know...the graphics are probably a LOT better, or at least they look that way from the screenshots. I know the XBox version could use a heavy dose of FSAA....

How is Need For Speed: HP2? I have been wanting to try that game out, but have read a lot of reviews that it isnt that good. What do you guys think?> What are the highs and lows?
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

NFS HP2

Highs: Graphics

Lows: Framerate

I'm sad to say you can add this one to your list of unoptimized PC racers. Not much of a loss anyway, NFS games pretty much handle like crap compared to GT1, 2 or 3.

I have always thought the NFS series is a bit "arcadey". I prefer sims to be honest, although HP2 does look pretty sweet and some of the cars available are awesome. Cruising round the in an F1 with loud rock music playing is very, very fun I must admit...

No idea about mods for Rallisport Challenge - do a search or ask RecklessLeper. He has spent many months playing it all day.

GTR-2002 is definitely worth checking out.

http://www.sbdt.co.uk/forums/

Gomez Adams is on the development team so he's the dude to ask.

MuFu.

Yeah, I asked you about F1-2002 not too long ago. I am still trying to get a copy of it. I can order it online of course, but I was hoping to find one locally so I could get it faster. Looks like Ill be ordering it soon.

Sims are my preference as well. I've been getting into flying games lately. IL-2 Sturmovik is pretty good if your into flight sims. This WW2 combat sim has it all. It's my test game for my new flight stick
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

@MuFu

I remember reading that article in PC Gamer referenced in your link a week or so ago. I had made a mental note to try & find F1 2002 so I could try out the GTR mod, but of course I've completely forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me.

No idea about mods for Rallisport Challenge - do a search or ask RecklessLeper. He has spent many months playing it all day.
    lol, not quite, but I've played it a hell of a lot

I've not found any mods yet, only the CD crack - sorry bout that

Tis an amazing game; gotta turn it up loud so you can hear the squeaking of the chassis and the spool-up of the turbo to really get a feel for it
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Colin McRae 2 is one of my favourite games

When you get everything whacked up full (Cubic bump mapping etc) I have to admit... It does look damn sweet, and doesn't run too bad.

I agree though with what has been said, about poor optimization. I've found that many a rally/driving game run like utter crap on my system even though it is well above the recommended spec.

I think I'll have to go out and buy Rallisport Challenge... as that is one game that I have heard a lot of good things about
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

I found F1-2002 yesterday.

I have mixed feeling so far on the game. I tried out the GTR-2002 mod. Is there any way to change the camera view to anything besides the 4 they provide? I like to have the view behind and above the car so I can see the road ahead of me, but none of the view in the game do that. I can use the behind-the-car view, but when I do that I cant see the road ahead of me. I want to be able to see the car until I learn to drive them better.

Also, the cars react a little TOO real I dont like having all the (what I call) cheater options like spin contrl, traction control, and things like that. I never use those in any game that I play. But I dont have a steering wheel and pedals so It's a nessecity. I tried using my flight stick so I could have something that's pressure sensetive instead of just a digital on/off from the keyboard. That work a lot better, but was awkward to drive a Lamborghini with a flight stick

Anyway, this game rocks other than those nitpicks. I just need to invest in a decent racing Steering Wheel for my computer now.

I have to say, the graphics and especially the roar of the cars are TOP NOTCH!!! Kudos to the makers and MuFu for his suggestion in trying it out!!

Bought at WalMart for $9.99
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Woohoo! Gots to git meself down to WallyWorld.

In my opinion the best F1 game is Ubisofts F1 Racing Championship, I still play it a fair bit myself.
    I am sure it must be available as a budget release by now and I can highly recommend it.

Andy
    Gigabyte 8KNXP P4 3.0 HT 800fsb 1024mb Infineon PC3200DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    3DMark2001SE= 17215 2x36gb 10,000 Raptors (RAID-0) Pioneer AO5 DVDRW Lite-On 52x32x52
    Iiyama 17" TFT UT+UT2K3 = Euthanasia

Thread Information