TV Out on boot up
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TV Out on boot up

TV Out on boot up

Hey, is there any way to disable the TV out on boot up on a radeon 8500?

I have my TV hooked up Via S-Vid to my card (for DVD's and the like). When I want to watch something on my tv through the computer, I enable the TV display in the ati control panel. When i do that, it's just like turning on a VCR and everything but channel 3 goes fuzzy. The problem is, when I reboot, the TV display defaults to active, and makes whatever I'm watching fuzzy until windows boots up. The only way around this I've found is to continually plug in and un plug the svid cable, which is a hassle.

Suggestions?
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

The only way to disable it is to hook up a monitor. The monitor display has priority over the TV-Out. The reason the TV-Out is fuzzy until windows loads is because none of the software has been loaded to process and tweak the image. On boot up you're seeing the raw TV-out image. The blurriness may have more to do with your TV than the video card as well. The TV-Out on bootup is either in 640x480 or 320x240, but on my TV the POST text is very clear because less than 3 colors are being displayed. If you have a WEGA TV or something with an incredibly clear picture, the pre-processed TV-out on bootup should still be very clear.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

hehe, maybe I need a bit of clarification.

I have both a TV and a Monitor hooked up to my card. When I boot up, it appears that the TV is actually taking precedence over the monitor. I say this because the TV image is very nice and crisp while the monitor image is off center quite a ways.

The fuzziness I was referring to was if I am watching a channel other than 3 when my computer reboots. On channel three, the computer image shows up just fine though. It's like putting your TV on channel 14 and pressing play on your VCR.

I have not found a way to make the card default to the monitor and disable the TV out on boot up. No matter what I have plugged in where, unless of course the TV is unplugged.

Hope that clears up the confusion!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

That's very odd. I've never seen a card where TV takes precedence over the monitor. About the only thing I can think of is getting ahold of the last 8500 BIOS (or flashing to a 9100 BIOS) and flashing.

Thanks man, will try that

Tried the 9100 bios, the only thing it did was make the TV output on boot become black and white instead of color. Where do I get the ATI BIOS's for the 8500? It's a standard 8500 64MB version btw.

Thanks!

Are you sure you downloaded the appropriate type of BIOS- i.e. NTSC or PAL? If it went black and white, it sounds like you got a PAL BIOS trying to display on an NTSC TV.

You can get BIOS' from www.omegacorner.com, but they're not labelled by the amount of RAM on the card, but by part #.

yes, it was a PAL BIOS, I switched to the 7008 8500 BIOS though.

Still no go on the TV out during POST/Boot though. I e-mailed ATI tech support (good luck) to see if they had any ideas.

It's just so annoying to reboot your computer and have the show you're watching go to fuzz.

Thread Information