Which one, COPPER or Aluminum absorb heat better?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which one, COPPER or Aluminum absorb heat better?

Hi folksss..

I'm planning to buy a heatsink fan that absorb heat
    the most for my overclock P4 2.53@2.850 GHZ

Thanks for the info.

HOTLOVE

Current HSF favorites typically make use of copper or make use of aluminum/copper combo...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Copper is the better conductor. It absorbs heat faster, but holds it longer. They make thin-fin HSFs with lots of surface area and big fans to help dissipate the heat. Copper is the trend for the high end cpus.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Copper doesn't "hold heat longer," it just holds more of it. It dissipates heat faster than aluminum, just as it absorbs heat faster than aluminum.

In practically every way, copper makes a better heatsink. However, the difference is not huge, and the weight and price are drawbacks.
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

The way I understand it is that it does hold more heat as it is denser than aluminum, but it also spreads the heat out faster, so the heat is moved away as it tries to heat the copper block faster. It is also much heavier. I do not think a soilid copper heatsink is really nessisary, but a copper base or insert improves the performance a bit.

I had a cheap'o aluminum heatsink with a thin copper base (about 70x70mm). I bent it out to fit an 80mm fan (no overhange). Well I just got an SK-7 solid copper monster of a heatsink and with the same fan only improved my performance by 1-2'C (considdering it cost about twice as much I was dissapointed). The SK-7 is only about 65mm wide so some of the air from the fan is not forced through the heatsink. I think fanning the fins out to fit a larger fan is a wonderfull thing. It captures all the airflow and actually increases the space between the fins to increase the airflow. I have done this to a FOP32-1 with VERY good results too. I can cool my AthlonXP 1600+ (stock) and 1800+ (1.837Ghz) with a quiet 30 and 28db fan (respectively).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I wonder if anyone has tried titanium. Or cobalt.
    *This space for rent*

Silver is supposed to just edge out copper. Gold is too soft and too heavy and I do not think it is much better.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Silver HSF is already available but the costs are prohibitive for most...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    I heard pure glass is the best you will find, anywhere. It has to be pure

I don't think anyone here could afford a solid gold HSF. Man imagine the SLK-800 being solid gold, that would be alot of money.

Do they even make glass a HSF?
    or would ya kind of make your own?
    AMD AthlonXP 1700 T-Bred "B" @2.07GHz (180x11.5)
    Thermaltake Volcano 9 w/80mm Blue/red LED Fan
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 Motherboard...Rev 1004
    Western Digital 40GB hard drive 8MB cache
    256MB Crucial DDR333
    Radeon Hercules 8500LE 128MB
    NVidia SoundStorm Audio
    Chieftec Dragon Yellow Case
    Window Kit and Duel Blue Cold Cathodes
    Austin 450W Power Supply

Not sure that a typical mounting system would hold up a gold HSF...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Hi folksss...

Thanks for the inputs.

By the way, which manufacture make a good heatsink fan.
    In other words, which one is good to buy for overclock CPU
    that need to help in reducing heat to keep the system
    stable. I prefer one that make for Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ.

Thanks,

HOTLOVE

Zalman has a nice one for P4. It is very big and heavy (over 700g for the solid copper one). Their CNPS-7000 series just rocks. Make sure it can fit your motherboard as it is 109mm across. It is very quiet and beats almost everrything out there. I have seen them for as little as $38 for the Cu/Al one ($45 for the solid copper one) at NewEgg. The copper/aluminum mixed one performs almost as good and is just under the required weight limit of 450g from Intel fot their P4s (incase you take the system to LAN parties or something like that).

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...118-105&depa=1

This is a list of motherboards that it will not fit:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/news/20030224.htm
    Last edited by Todd a; May 4th, 2003 at 10:35 AM.

Well if you wnat to get technical then there are three different answers, all of which are correct.

1. Copper absorbs much more heat (per degree C) than Aluminium.

2. Aluminium absorbs much more heat (per C) than Copper.

3. They are both absorb the same amount of heat (per C).

What, you dont believe all three? It's true, here's why.

- Copper has a higher heat capacity per unit volume.

- Aluminium has a much higher heat capacity per unit mass

- Molecule for molecule (that is, per mole) they both absorb almost exactly the same amount of heat per degree C.

Oh BTW, while I answered your specific question I should point out that thermal capacity (that is the ability to of a substance to absorb heat with limited temperature rise) is actually pretty irrelevent to heatsink performance. Heat capacity will delay the onset of over temperature should your heatsinks fan fail but it does nothing to reduce the steady state maximum temperatues and has no influence on the temperatures of a working heatsink/fan combo. The main factor that is important here is thermal conductivity and copper is definitly superior to Aluminium in that respect.

I heard pure glass is the best you will find, anywhere
    A Pure glass heatsink ol'man?. What would the thermal conductivity of that be like?

Thread Information