GeForce 4 DVD hardware acceleration using PowerDVD XP
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GeForce 4 DVD hardware acceleration using PowerDVD XP

Hybrid View

Question GeForce 4 DVD hardware acceleration using PowerDVD XP

Hi guys,

Was watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon the other day, and was tinkering with some of the settings.

I'd been using software acceleration, and when I switched to hardware acceleration, I got no picture, just random blocks on my screen when I returned to play mode.

Anyone got any answers? System is in sig, drivers used are Dets 43.03

Thanks in advance!

Jon
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Both ATi and nVidia seem to have intermittent problems with hardware accel between driver versions.

I'm using Cat 3.2s (w/9800 hack) on my 9700 Pro and hardware acceleration is broken in PowerDVD and WinDVD. Never had any problem up until now.

Perhaps try an older driver version, use WinDVD (pic quality is miles better, BTW) or keep an eye out for beta releases/leaks.

MuFu.

K, will do when the bird goes home

cheers moof
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

I'd tend to disagree with MuFu.. PowerDVD handles DVD's a lot better than WinDVD. I had stuttering problems with WinDVD (multiple versions). These went away on the exact same setup with PowerDVD. Picture quality is the same IMO.

Also, you do not require hardware acceleration. Software works exactly the same just requires more CPU grunt (but I can understand you wanting to know whats going on)

Originally posted by SexyMF
    Picture quality is the same IMO.

The WinDVD video filter results in a noticeably sharper picture on my system (WinDVD 4 vs. PowerDVD 4 XP), although sometimes that means grain and edge-enhancement artifacts are a little more noticeable. On a TV there's hardly any determinable difference between the two, IMHO.

I find PowerDVD easier to use, but I think that's because I've only just recently switched to WinDVD. The default "Vivid" color profile in PDVD is horrible ("Theater" or "Original" are miles better). I can't remember ever having stuttering problems with either unless H/W accel was busted in the drivers. Have to mess around with refresh rates a bit to get smooth pans with different video formats but that's about all.

Agreed that hardware accel isn't really necessary, although it's useful to keep CPU usage down when you've got a CSII or DPLII algorithm running and a bunch of tasks in the background.

MuFu.

Hmm... just cracked out the trusty ol' Superbit edition of Fifth Element and compared PDVD with WDVD. Took a bunch of screenshots and compared realtime playback.

WinDVD does not have better IQ (doh!), in fact I'd say PowerDVD is slightly sharper. I have no idea what has changed recently to cause this.

H/W accel is bust in WinDVD for me with the Cat 3.2s and I find PowerDVD easier to use. PowerDVD gets my vote once more, lol.

Cheers SexyMF,

MuFu.

LOL.

Yah, ok the difference is because the default playback window sizes are different - so one appears sharper than the other if you are a complete dumbass and only do a quick, windowed comparison. I didn't even notice the difference in size, despite the fact that WinDVD scales to ~800 pixels wide and PowerDVD to about 1000!

Oh dear, oh dear...

MuFu.

P.S. WinDVD is gone for good now - only reason I was using it was because of the "noticeably better picture quality".

Arrow

Oh, you are going mad! Your talking to yourself in this thread

The most noticable stuttering was in Starship Troopers Pluto Campaign in the spaceship flyby's. It was terrible. At first I thought it must be cabling or bus mastering etc but it still did it when the drive is a solo master. I was resorting to decrypting the DVD stream to HDD and playing back from there, which worked perfect. The only trouble being that I'm really pushed to find 5-7gigs free on a 20gig HDD.

Currently I run DVDs at 1152x768 desktop resolution

As for picture quality, I'd love to see the raw uncompressed footage for any movie. I still dislike MPEG compression. Give me 12 DVD's for a single movie anyday!!!!

Yeah I watch films at 1280x768 (native res of my monitor) but I remember just playing something in a window with WinDVD when I first got it and being blown away by the improvement in sharpness. I flicked back to PowerDVD to check I wasn't imagining things and sure enough it was as blurry as ever, HAHA. I *am* going mad.

I think I'd rather watch a film in a decent cinema than at home, but most have really crappy bass reproduction and having a decent sub makes a world of difference.

If you're after quality you'll be interested in the new T2 DVD coming up. It features a brand new HD transfer using WMV9 @ 1920x1080 w/7.1 surround. I know increased res doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but since it's a bit of a technological showcase for M$ I bet it'll be clean as hell.

MuFu.

I've been getting the stuttering problem with the latest version of Windvd. Maybe I'll try POwer DVD instead to see if this is a problem on my system or windvd itself.

my g4 mx used to make no difference really with hardware accel on or off.

havent tried now with my radeon.... hmmmm.....

using powerdvd

Thread Information