Help with Athlon 2000+ temps on Nforce2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help with Athlon 2000+ temps on Nforce2

Help with Athlon 2000+ temps on Nforce2

Just got an Athlonxp 2000+ with an Nforce2 Msi k7n2 board today. Thing is the temps seem a bit high, compared to my Athlon 1800+ on a ECS K7S6a that I used to have. My cpu temps hover around 61 - 64 even when I'm not doing anything on it. The case temps show as high as 42! This doesn't seem right, as my old cpu temp was 50 and the case temp was around 30.

Could the temps be inaccurate? Anyone else have this board and find the temperatures to be a little on the high side? I currently have 3 sunon case fans, a retail fan on the cpu, and rounded ide cables. Don't know what else I can do........................
    Intel Core2Duo 6600 Retail
    Asus P5B 965 Mobo
    2x 1 GB Samsung DDR2-667
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTO 512 Mb
    Western Digital SATA II 250 GB 16 Mb 7200 RPM
    LG 16x DVD-RW
    Enermax 535 W PS
    Antec P180
    Windows XP PRO

One of my machine have it and yes, it is high. The case temp is about the same as yours even out of case! I have an AX-7 Sink on a 1700+ @ 2Ghz on it 1.725v and it idles 55 and loads 65C, same thing did'nt load or idle that high on my Asus A7V333 and that also read from the diode, so i'd say it does read a bit too high yes.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Whew! (sigh of relief) It didn't make sense to me for my temps to be that high, but all the same it's good to hear a person with a common problem.
    Can you estimate at all what the approx temp misreading could be? I'm hoping it's about 10c, because my case temps can't really have jumped at all, so if they went from 30 to 40, maybe my cpu is really idling at 50c instead of 60c.....
    Intel Core2Duo 6600 Retail
    Asus P5B 965 Mobo
    2x 1 GB Samsung DDR2-667
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTO 512 Mb
    Western Digital SATA II 250 GB 16 Mb 7200 RPM
    LG 16x DVD-RW
    Enermax 535 W PS
    Antec P180
    Windows XP PRO

You tried a BIOS update? I think the temps dropped with the latest, i'd say aout 10C yes.

Yah. Just remember the nForce2 boards use the internal diode on the CPU itself. This generally reads about 10'C warmer than the older socket thermal sensors that sat under the CPU. The Northbridge is also passively cooled (no fan) on most nForce2 boards. This is not the case temp though. Few motherboards actually have teh third sensor for case temps. My old Abit KT7 did have the extra sensor, but they located it at the bottom of teh case right infront of where most intake fans were located, so the case temps were usually pretty low and not realistic.

Those temps are not the best, but more than safe. You should be OK. I run about 60-62'C full load with my set-up , but I am really not too happy with the heatsink I got. NewEgg was out of the SK-7 and SLK-800 so I just grabbed a cheap copper heatsink that I could mod to fit an 80mm fan (like I did with an old GlobalWin FOP32-1). It lets the heatsink get pretty good temps with a nice quiet fan running at 28db. Well the heatsink turned out to be aluminum with a thin copper base, but they pained it all to look like copper (possibly copper plated). I found this out when I drilled the new holes for mounting the larger fan. I'm running a similar system to yours with my CPU running at 1.8Ghz I am running about as a 2200+, but with a higher bus speed.

This is a picture of my modd'd heatsink. It looks really cool with that Antec Tri-Light LED fan slapped on top.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I think they probably overexaggerated the calibration, as the same cpu dosen't read that high on some other nforce2 boards i've used, my NF7-S V1.1 was the king for overdoing it, if i was to believe it then i'd be loading over 70C , a BIOS update sorted it and ive not had the problem with the v1.2 boards, not tested a v2.0 yet.

Thread Information