9700 Setup?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 9700 Setup?

9700 Setup?

I am ready to install my 9700np card and have a few questions. I am currently using on board video,and I did install a driver for it. Should I unistall that first and will I need to change my bios or will the card be detected? After I boot up windows will detect the card and install software for it, so should I let it or cancel that install?
    Last edited by kevin2000; April 2nd, 2003 at 04:19 PM.

You cant install onboard video. You must disable it. Uninstalling it will cause it to be re-detected every time you restart your computer.

It depends on which version of windows you are using, but XP does not try to automatically install the drivers for a 9700.

You will be set at the lowest possible resolutions when you reboot (FYI).

Then you can put in your driver disk and install.....

It will prompt you to reboot.

After that reset your display settings and you are done

You may want to go to ATI website and download their updated drivers.
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Western Digital 8mg cache ATA-133/160G/7200 HD
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

What I meant was I installed drivers for the onboard video. Should I use the install cd that came with the card first and then update it or just use the latest driver from ATI? I am using XP Pro.

Originally posted by kevin2000
    What I meant was I installed drivers for the onboard video. Should I use the install cd that came with the card first and then update it or just use the latest driver from ATI? I am using XP Pro.
    There is no reason that I can see to use the CD. Lately I have been using the downloaded drivers exclusively. Just install the video driver then the control panel that you get from the web (Catalyst 3.2). The only reason to use the CD, that I can see, is if it contains a DVD player or other utility that you might find useful.

Hope this helps!

Intel_Peep

Edit: And disable the on-board video in BIOS before installing the ATI card. After you startup you can uninstall the old display drivers, but you should be able to wait until the ATI card is running smoothly before you do that.
    Last edited by Intel_Peep; April 2nd, 2003 at 05:42 PM.
    Pentium Extreme Edition 965 (3.73GHz, HT Enabled)
    ABit AW8D (975X)
    1024MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667MHz 4-4-4-12
    SB Audigy
    Creative 5.1 speakers

P4 2.4GHz, 133MHz FSB 1.5V
    A-Bit TH7-II
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro/128MB
    512MB Kingston PC800 @ 1066
    SB Audigy
    El Cheapo (tm) speakers

My favorite toy:
    Canon EOS 20D
    Canon 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon 70-300mm IS USM
    Canon 85mm F1.8

Not speaking for Intel!

Hmmm

Ive never disabled the onboard in bios, only in the device manager.

And Ive never uninstalled the onboard drivers for my setup.

Ill check to the bios tonight,

I have no idea how to uninstall the drivers for the original though...

They dont appear on any uninstall list or device manager option that I have noticed.

I agree totally on the downloading of the Cats 3.2.

Some people get a little funny though about trying to find only WHQL (which I believe the last one was 3.0a).

Either way, if your driver disk is older (like mine was) you will want to dl newer versions.

After reading up on the drivers:
    No performance improvments in the 3.1 or 3.2s over what was gained with 3.0.

Bug fixes in all versions, and "new bugs" in the 3.2s with half life engine based games (counter strike being the big issue here).

There were performance enhancements for the 9000-9100-9200 and 8500 in the 3.2s.

If you enjoy HL based games try 3.1 or 3.0a.
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

I disabled my onboard video and uninstalled all vga drivers. I got the latest ATI driver and I am good to go. Should I install ATI's control panel?

Originally posted by kevin2000
    I disabled my onboard video and uninstalled all vga drivers. I got the latest ATI driver and I am good to go. Should I install ATI's control panel?
    It kinda necessary if you want to control antialiasing settings, texture quality etc.. So yes, install the control panel
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: RealtekŪ ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Will do. Thank you for the help everyone.

I installed ATI control panel, but I need some help setting the options. Can anyone direct me to a site that explains or recommend what settings I should use to get max performance?

Default settings are a good rule of thumb.

You have to realize that the card is basically so "dang fast" that trying to "squeeze out performance" defeats the purpose of owning the one.

What you want to "squeeze out" is image quality.

Going by this line of thinking, just turn the slider at the tip to "optimal quality" or whatever it says for OGL or D3D (depending on which game you are playing).
    It automatically sets the FSAA and AF to levels shown to work pretty well with the card.

Boot up your game and see if it runs smooth...if it does, your golden, enjoy those "quality graphics". Speed is not necessary king.

PS dont confuse "stuttering" with fps.
    Some folks are having suttering problems which is either driver related, too many background process running, a weak cpu for the physics being calculated in the game (cpu limited) driver conflicts with old cards that were removed, or most probably some combination of all of the above.....
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

Thanks Dr. Data- I changed those settings and I'll give them try tonight with some MOH online.

Ok, I just wanted to clear somthing up so no one thinks IM a moron.

I did in fact disable my onboard video, sound, and Lan (since I only have a modem) in my bios.

I guess that I have just gotten so accustomed to tweaking around in the stuff that I do it without ever taking a mental note or even remembering it.

Then when my system worked fine, I never really even related it to what I had already done in setup.

Lastly though, my 9700PRO is sharing IRQ 16 with my modem, and I have noticed some jerkyness more often while Im playing and downloading at the same time.

I noticed my modem is pretty close to the video card in the case, and I think Ill move it away to try and get it off the IRQ and increase the airflow to the video cards fan.....

Does that sound about right to you guys?

I am worred about having that back plate open in the empty space and the resulting dust that can find its way inside the case through there though.

Can you buy backplates to rescrew in empty slots?
    Nforce 2 Mobo-oem stock
    Athlon Xp3000-Stock
    768 mgs PC2100 @ 2.5/3/3
    Radeon 9700 PRO/365/342
    Win XP Home SP1
    19" KDS "Extreme Flat"

Laptop
    Athlon 64 3200+
    512mg Ram
    Mobile Radeon 9600
    80G Hard Drive

To remember tweaks I've done I either keep a notepad close to me on the desk or a shortcut in the quick launch to notepad.exe..
    I even started making .reg files to automate the tweaks that I know work flawlessly. I also want to learn VBScript so I can create little menus and stuff to make installing tweaks that much easier for me and others.

As for the modem, yes definitely move it from the PCI slot next to your agp slot. Those two share IRQs and will slow down your video card. I never install anything into the slot next to my video card.

The backplate thing-a-ma-jig you probably could buy from your local 'puter store or just use the one that your modem will go into.
    If you can't buy one or use an extra one, just tape it closed.
    Last edited by Stuff; April 9th, 2003 at 04:57 PM.
    2600+ on Abit NF7-S 2.0, 1024mb PC2700, 60gb IBM HD, AIW Radeon, 56k modem, on WinXP Pro SP1.

Thread Information