9700PRO overclocking
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 9700PRO overclocking

9700PRO overclocking

A topic that continuously pops up, I know.

Anyway...

I have been trying to overclock my 9700PRO and here is what i have come up with thus far:

Core: 366
    Memory: 324

I cant seem to get the memory to go any higher. If I do, I get some minor artifacting. I can get the core pretty damn high though for stock cooling. I've had it at 366 so far with stock cooling and have not tried higher. I'm willing to bet it will go pretty high. Once I get better cooling it willl be awesome.

Anyway, everyone seems to be having a little better luck with their memory speeds than me. Is there anything that I can do to get the memory to overclock higher? I was thinking of putting some good RAMSinks on it to help a bit. Can anyone suggest some good cooling and heatsinks to put on the memmory?

Also, I noticed a 500 point gain in 3DMark 01' from doing this overclock on the vid card. Not too bad, I guess....I just thought it would go higher than that. You guys think that this is about right? I went from 15,313 to 15,864.

Thanks for the help and any suggestions.

I have not done ANYTHING to this card yet, it's completely stock. so anything that will help the cooling will be greatly appreciated! Im open to all suggestions.
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

I finally hit my limit...(380/324). Thats with completely stock cooling and not touching the core/shim. Next step is to use some RAMSinks and a better active cooler for the core. I think this is reasonable for stock cooling.

However, I am a little dissapointed with the memory. Given that this is a PowerColor board...I guess this is acceptable. I hope that the memory does a little better with heatsinks on them.

Anyone have any suggestions for good cooling for a 9700PRO?
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

ThermalTake Cooler......

This is just like the Zalman passive cooler, except that it has an active fan in the center. I think this would be awesome for cooling. It says that its for GeForce4 boards though.

Do you guys think that this cooler will work with a 9700PRO?
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

What memory do you have on your 9700 Pro? Samsung or Infineon?

If it's Infineon then 325 is about the limit, sometimes less. The Samsung tends to top out at about 335-345MHz without any mods, but that is more of a memory interface issue than anything else (i.e. the mem controller in the ASIC fails before the RAM fails).

How high can you push the memory if you keep the core at 325MHz?

MuFu.

i dont think I really tried to raise the memory without raising the core. Ill have to give that a shot tonight....

Im not sure what kind of memory chips these are, it doesnt say on them...ill have to take a closer look when I get back from work....
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Thread Information