nv4_disp.dll wont go away
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: nv4_disp.dll wont go away

Hybrid View

nv4_disp.dll wont go away

i installed an ati 9500 after a Geforce2 no matter what I try the nv4_disp.dll file in system32 wont delete. I can delete and empty the recylcling bin and it reappears. I tried detonator destoyer but it says it wont work on my system. Please help windows xp

Look for any folders in the root named nvidia, have you uninstalled the actual driver from add/remove programs?
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

yes I unistalled the actual driver disabled the device, it doesnt show in the device manager. The ATI 9500 wont play games only works in 3D. Did a seard for all NV files and deleted them but the nv4_disp.dll keeps coming back right after I remove it. Nvidia must have a deal with MS. Looks like Im going to return for a TI4200

A windows reinstall would make that problem go away, you removed all registry entries too btw?
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Go to c:\windows\driver cache\i386. Cut and paste both .cab files in this folder to your desktop (Also delete nv_disp.dll from this folder if you see it in there). Now go ahead and do a search on C: for all files starting with nv*. Delete everything it finds. Now open regedit and search for nvidia. Delete the "nVidia Global" folders (it should find two). It may find other nvidia entries that pertain to device ID strings which it will not let you delete (you can open regedt32, find this string and set permissions to read/write under the Security tab and it will let you delete them), but you should be ok leaving them in the registry. Uninstall your Radeon drivers. Reboot. Now move the .cab files back to their original location. No more nv_display.dll! I hate Windows File Protection too...
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thread Information