Custom build computer. pls comment. HELP
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Custom build computer. pls comment. HELP

Custom build computer. pls comment. HELP

Hey experts out there, i'm looking to custom build a computer with a budget of 1200USD. Main uses of the computer are for online music and gaming purposes. This is the finalise list of components before i head down to the computer store. I would really appreciate all people to give their precious view and comments on the configuration and what component should be removed and replaced by others and more vlaue for money. (Price/performance)
    thanks

AMD ATHLON XP 2500 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL
    ATI OEM RADEON 9500 PRO 128MB DDR Black
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 AMD Athlon XP/Duron, ATX, 3GB DDR-SDRAM, 333MHz FSB
    Crucial Micron 512MB 64x64 PC2100 DDR RAM, 184-Pin, CL=2.5-Unbuffered 2.5V, 6-Layers
    VIEWSONIC E70F 17" Flat Screen
    LITEON Black 52x24x52 CDRW with Burn Proof
    PIONEER INTERNAL ATAPI 16X DVD-ROM MODEL DVD-120
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - OEM
    Western Digital WD800JB 80GB 8MB buffer.

- The onboard audio of the a7n8x deluxe is quite impressive. Not your typical onboard audio. The consensus is that it's midway between audigy1 and audigy2 in sound quality. Could skip the sound card in the regard.

- Get the 9500 Pro with the red PCB as opposed to the black PCB. I believe it's better somehow.

- Get at least PC2700 (333MHz) memory so that you can run your memory in sync with the FSB - 333MHz/333MHz. Results in optimum performance. Also, use two memory modules in order to take advantage of the Dual DDR feature of nForce2. Place one memory module in the memory slot that seems to stand alone and the other memory module in either of the two remaining memory slots. If you want to expand to 1GB of memory later, just buy a 512MB memory module and place it in the memory slot that seems to stand alone and the two 256MB memory modules in the two remaining slots.
    Last edited by Kid Chaos; March 31st, 2003 at 03:10 PM.

I 2nd that notion of onboard audio. I sold my soundcard after experiencing NVidia SoundStorm, its quite impressive.

Kid Chaos

What are you saying about Dual Channel? I dont think I understand. I was convinced that Dual Channel would only work with 2 sticks of DDR being placed in the 2 blue connectors on the A7N8X-Dx. You've succeeded in confusing me completely.

In oreder to utilize Dual Channel, you have to take 2 sticks of DDR, and place one in each blue slot. Is this correct?
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Yeah, I was confused too. But, now things are clear. All of the nforce2 motherboards are all the same. In order for Dual DDR to be in effect, memory must be present in both channels. One channel has one memory slot. And the other channel has two memory slots - look like they're close together. The amount of memory in Dual DDR is the lowest common amount of memory among both channels times two. Some of the folks at nforcershq have connections to the nvidia engineers. Here's my discussion with one of them.
    Last edited by Kid Chaos; March 31st, 2003 at 04:47 PM.

Thank you guys for ur helpful advice. Anyhow some so called computer geek just recommanded me these changes. So i hope you guys will see if it is justify for me to spend that kind of money and also if there will be any sigificant increase in performance.

Amd athlon xp2100 b core tbred..can easily overclock to xp2800 levels for 87 bucks delivered! Stay away from the creative card and go with the Hercules fortissimo III or the Phillips card...which has sound that will leave you panting... get the 9700pro. Also change to 256MB x 2 PC2700

19" CRT instead of a 17" Flat pannel

Originally posted by asus
    Thank you guys for ur helpful advice. Anyhow some so called computer geek just recommanded me these changes. So i hope you guys will see if it is justify for me to spend that kind of money and also if there will be any sigificant increase in performance.

Amd athlon xp2100 b core tbred..can easily overclock to xp2800 levels for 87 bucks delivered! Stay away from the creative card and go with the Hercules fortissimo III or the Phillips card...which has sound that will leave you panting... get the 9700pro. Also change to 256MB x 2 PC2700

19" CRT instead of a 17" Flat pannel
    If overclocking, get some memory suitable for the task. TwinMos PC3200 is good and doesn't cost too much.

For motherboard, I would go with the Abit NF7-S revision 1.2. If ya get it, purchase it from excaliberPC as they garauntee revision 1.2 or later. Could also get a 2100+ TBred-B from there if ya decide on that processor. If overclocking get a good Heatsink and fan for your cpu. Here's a good one.

- For ATi graphics cards, just stay away from powercolor. ATi 9700 Non-Pro 128MB and 9500 Pro 128MB look like they can both fit into your budget without forcing you to skimp in the other areas of this build.

- 19" CRT monitor is a very good suggestion.

- Don't need a sound card with Abit NF7-S either.

- This computer is looking to be quite the speed demon!

Thread Information