Focus problem - it this really normal ???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Focus problem - it this really normal ???

Question Focus problem - it this really normal ???

I just bought a MAG Innovision 810FD monitor, which is second hand but very well kept, and supposed to have a very high quality Sony Wega CRT.

The problem with it is that I cannot get a good focus on 100% of the display. When I use the monitor horizontal and vertical focus controls, I can get a very good focus on the center of the screen but blurred characters on the left and right borders. If I adjust the focus so the edges are well focused than the center is not focused.

I thought I may have a problem with the monitor, and than checked the FAQ on MAG website and this is what I find :

Why do the characters in the corner of the screen look fuzzy?

Because CRTs are not perfectly spherical and the electron gun is not located at the end of the ovaloid described by the surface of the CRT the focus on the screen will not be uniform. Circuitry in the monitor or the design of the CRT compensates for some of this variance. The monitor is adjusted so that the focus is best in an area around the center.
    Well, is there nothing to do about it and any modern flat screen has this problem ?? I thought I was gonna get 100% sharpness and color with a Wega screen....

I believe that you are out of luck.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Yup, it's a limitation and also why the best cost a lot more, it's not just the tube but how you control it that makes the difference. And like the focus it's also difficult to get uniform convergence over the whole screen, some areas almost always have blue and red fringes.

If you want to get closer to perfection then a TFT is pretty good. Other than that, just enjoy what your monitor can do, not what it can't.

Bennyboy.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Shinma... "out of luck" because the monitor is defected or because that's the limitiation ?

if it's just bluury or out of focus, that can usually be fixed on most monitors that i've owned..
    take off the back cover and look for a knob or two hidden in around stuff that a phillips screwdriver fits in....
    might wanna turn the monitor off to take off the casing
    but it needs be turned on while you tinker

slowly turn the knob until it's in focus, there's also usually one for contrast adjustment, like when monitor just get too dim even when the front contrast adjustment is on max, just crank that and you're good to go too
    2100+ Tbred-B AIUHB @ 2254 (13.5x167@1.7v)
    Thermalright SLK-800a w/36cfm TMD Fan
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP rev1.2
    512Mb Samsung pc2700
    2x30gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata100
    40Gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata100
    40Gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata133
    120Gb Seagate 7200rpm Ata100 8Mb
    80Gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata133 8Mb
    Logitech Z-560 4.1 Speakers
    Sapphire Radeon9500>9700 Softmod@(373.5/297)
    WindowsXP Pro w/SP1/DX9.0b

Unable to comment without seeing the typical picture.

If a guess had to be made, a combination of both...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Well, mooP -

I did that (even before you suggested it) but the result was terrible.... I appears that yhe veritacal and horizontal focus knobs on the flyback transformer need their particulat positions so the vertical and horizontal focus cross and give a sharp picture.

From the moment I touched the knobs the results just got worse .... Now I cannot find their original positions and get the sharp picture I had on the center of the screen before...

This is furstrating, I wished I had not done that at all.

Do you have any idea how can I set them back to factory positions ? Do they use a scope or measuring voltages when calibrating the focus ?

no clue, it takes me a while to get it in focus, it takes the patience i dont have so i take breaks :P
    2100+ Tbred-B AIUHB @ 2254 (13.5x167@1.7v)
    Thermalright SLK-800a w/36cfm TMD Fan
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP rev1.2
    512Mb Samsung pc2700
    2x30gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata100
    40Gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata100
    40Gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata133
    120Gb Seagate 7200rpm Ata100 8Mb
    80Gb Maxtor 7200rpm Ata133 8Mb
    Logitech Z-560 4.1 Speakers
    Sapphire Radeon9500>9700 Softmod@(373.5/297)
    WindowsXP Pro w/SP1/DX9.0b

OK I think I finally got it back (at least most of it...)

I just thought that to be able to get the focus as clibrated at the factory, I actually need to focus when the controls are set just like it was when it got out from the factory, which means that I needed to *reset* them. Than, after I reset, I went back to the FBT and focused by v. and h. focus controls...

Thread Information