Maxtor HDD's good or bad?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Maxtor HDD's good or bad?

Maxtor HDD's good or bad?

I haven''t been able to really get a consensus on the quality of these drives. Some say good others say bad. So I am hopeing for a more definitive answear here. I am looking at an 80gb 7200RPM 8mb Cache ATA133 drive, it looks really nice, but looks can be deceiving

had mine now for oh, 7 months.... love it- still super quiet and no problems whatsoever. very very fast. look at my sig, i have the 2mb version

You won't get a consensus, people all have their own feelings about which HDD maker they like best.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

agreed.

although seagate seems to have the lest problems.... overall user comments for a long time

No issues encountered as of yet, in the last several years with the Maxtor brand...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I love seagate drives, They tend to be more expensive though. My Quantum drive has always been good to me, and my WD drive just died(lame) I have heard that Maxtor's RMA policy sucks, but if their drives never break, then who needs RMA.

Originally posted by JamesMJ
    ... I have heard that Maxtor's RMA policy sucks ...

?
    Have had good feedbacks on the RMA procedures on Maxtor drives from members here.
    The only drawback would be the standard one year warranty only, like most other HDDs...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I own about 4 maxtors and have built 1/2 dozen pc's for friends and family....all with maxtors.I've RMA 3 maxtors so far(all were on the last few months of their 3 year warranty) Maxtor always sent me a bigger drive than i sent to them(i got a 13 gig for a dead 10 gig....etc)and got the new drive within a week after they received the dead one.I've only worked on 2 Western digital drives,but they seem to be ok too(cheaper anyway) i hate the fact that they've gone to 1 year warranty,but i still see 3 year warranty drives on the shelfs.
    Last edited by GunHo; March 21st, 2003 at 11:35 PM.

From what I can tell then the maxtor should be fine. I mean 8mb CACHE at ATA133 is a mighty fast drive. I like maxtor, but I didn't want to end up with a dud(who does?) Thanks for the feedback guys.

not sure about the maxtor 8mb cache hdd but the west dig ones come with a 3yr warranty as opposed to the now standard 1yr one.
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

I thought the 3 year warranty only applied to the retail versions of the Western Digital?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Right....

I think Shinma is correct. Retail version of 8mb cache WD is the only wd still with 3 yr warranty. I recently lost sleep over this same issue two months ago and finally bit for the 80gig Maxtor DM and FWIW, I pleased. It was my first Maxtor after a succession of excellent IBM and WD experiences. I wasn't comfortable with WD after a friends recent calamity that coincided with their warranty reduction. Hmmmmm.... I think IBM and Hitachi will get their sh*t together very soon but for now, Maxtor got high marks after I polled everyone here

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...hreadid=140231

best of luck,
    S
    Statistics are like a bikini - what they reveal may be interesting, but what they hide is critical.

Thread Information