PCMCIA card won't fit!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PCMCIA card won't fit!

PCMCIA card won't fit!

Darnit... I finally got my wireless LAN WAP and PCMCIA card in the mail, and go to install the card so I can surf on the laptop anywhere... and the friggen thing doesn't fit! It looks like a standard PCMCIA card I'm used to, but for a slightly different notch keying- what gives? Does this mean it's incompatible with my (old) laptop, or is this just a difference in manufacturing?

The Wireless card is on top and doesn't fit; my old NIC card is on the bottom and fits. You can see where the larger notch on the new card is a little nicked by the key in the laptop. What does the different notch mean? I wouldn't mind carving it off if I knew it would work, but I don't want to screw the RMA by doing it...

Last edited by grover; March 19th, 2003 at 05:14 PM.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Figured it out- the new card is a Cardbus card, and is incompatible with my laptop. DOH! RMAd back to newegg I guess...

Edit: this is NOT the card they show on their website- in fact, the picture of the DWL-650 is of a "PC Card" and looks completely different.

Edit2: Newegg was very cool about it- since it was there fault, there is no restocking fee, and they'll refund my shipping costs too. The only problem is now I don't have a wi-fi card for my laptop and can't get it from newegg since they've got the wrong stuff, doh!
    Last edited by grover; March 19th, 2003 at 05:48 PM.

grover

Fell for the same trick. I bought a USB PCMCIA for my work notebook since it didn't have USB (it's been replaced with one that does). The manufacturer (Beilken) said (in the glossy blurb) that it "fits all PC's). Wada joke. It never worked from the start with the same "key" config as you showed. I got onto IBM (notebook manuf) and there was nothing I could do. So now I have a USB card that's useless (unless I need more USB ports).

It's just a shame that these card manufacturers don't make it clear before you buy

Cheers.
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Well, I *****ed about this to a coworker yesterday who emphithized- apparently, he'd bought a wireless lan about a month ago and couldn't get it working because he'd cocked up the PCMCIA card install and hosed the drivers and asked if I could help him troubleshoot- well, damn, (brainstorm here!) "hey, want to trade PCMCIA cards?" Long story short, he'd bought an identical Dlink 614+ router, only his was bought refurbished and doesn't work, but his laptop DOES take cardbus cards and his cheapass compusa 802.11 card fit my laptop. I ran into some speedbumps as he lost the driver CD and compusa had no drivers for it on their website, listing only a manufacturer (gigafast) that had no mention of it on their website. I tried hacking drivers of another card they make in notepad to get it to work, but they wouldn't. Luckily, their tech support guy was awesome and emailed me back the drivers- responded to me twice within 30 business minutes! after I realized I had to change the SSID, got it working!

So, I'm happy to say, I'm typing on the laptop right now <g>

Thread Information