An OS that won't give me headaches? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An OS that won't give me headaches?

ruffian. How long did you have to wait for your replacement to get to you? i have a flaky 45GB 75GXP in a shoebox w/ of course the antistatic bag
    Get busy Living or get busy Dying - Tim Robbins, Shawshank Redemption

When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming - Bruce Lee

I think 2 weeks at the most, but its been a while since that. The replacement has worked very well, I havent had any problems with it and no weird noises either.
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

glad to hear that

Win98SE is great in terms of compatibility for games and hardware. I keep mine in shape with Norton Systemworks and do a full fresh install whenever I upgrade my mainboard. I never get any BSODs, ever, period. And yes it has no security but I have a router for that.

I run Win98SE with 512MB of memory and my father-in-law runs XP with 512MB and my PC runs circles around his. But I guess you have to tweak XP to get it to perform right. Probably too much bloat in the default installation. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about XP to help his machine.

XP should have a default install option for power users who don't need cute dogs, animated windows and help messages. I'll get XP soon as I need it if I'm going to keep building rigs for people. But I'll probably make it look/work just like Win98...i.e. shut up and let me do my work.
    Last edited by Chiles4; March 31st, 2003 at 06:32 PM.

what are your complete system specs? and his? 512 MB w/ XP should be spiffy..install service pack 1 yet? although 98 does have less overhead XP shouldn't have any problems

I stand by Windows 2000 all the way!

Had to format 2 days ago, and I decided to put Win2k back on... and its still FAF!
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Thread Information