An OS that won't give me headaches?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An OS that won't give me headaches?

Hybrid View

An OS that won't give me headaches?

OK, I've had it. WinXP just doesnt seem to like ANY of my hardware or games. It's over.

What other operating systems are even worth looking at for a frequent gamer?

Thanks in advance.
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

Try 98SE That should be sweet. Its great for games and the like. Pity about XP though.
    Your 4200 should work fine with the NVidia drivers (i still use the 29.42's as they seem best for me)
    As for other hardware, what are you having problems with?
    Also i can't say as there are many games XP wont run (i've come across a couple of COOL old ones that it won't)

I've used Windows XP since the day it was first released, and have only had one game not run which was Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed, which now works because of patch put out recently. You should not be having so many problems with your games or hardware, so I don't think it's a OS issue but rather a piece of bad hardware that is causing your problems. List your hardware, and the problems you are having, and maybe some of us here can help.

Windows XP was quite a good OS and I had little problems with it, even though I was constantly changing hardware.

I have found Win98 First Edition or Windows 2000 w/ Service Pack 3 have been the best OS' for gaming and general use.

I'm never going back to XP because it pisses me off after a bit, but when I next format my hard disk (seems to be a recurring thing for me ) Windows 2000 is going straight back on!
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Windows98se remains the best PC gaming platform. However, what you gain in full compatibility and strong performance you lose in overall stability, features, and laughable security.

Probably your best bet is to dual-boot WinXP and 98se. Use 98se exclusively for gaming but keep XP as your primary OS.
    now that my specs are respectable, I might as well list them again:

2500+ Barton @ 2346mhz, Swiftech MC462a/80mm Sanyo Denki fan
    Abit NF7-S v 2.0
    2x256 Ocz PC3500 DDR
    128 mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lian-Li PC-68 case
    Enermax 431 watt PS
    blah blah blah
    blah blah blah

For some reason, I get a LOT of errors in windows XP. When playing UT2k3 and Unreal 2, I get General Protection Faults. When I try to play Morrowind, it crashes to desktop. Ugh...
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

Win98SE. Never gives a problem. You can get a copy for $20 or $30. I am exclusively for gaming, and I meant it - gaming. I do not want to spend even a second of my time looking for a patch for XP. Win98SE lets you "just install and go".

Originally posted by Hikeon3
    For some reason, I get a LOT of errors in windows XP. When playing UT2k3 and Unreal 2, I get General Protection Faults. When I try to play Morrowind, it crashes to desktop. Ugh...
    I play ut2003 almost daily and played through unreal 2 twice and have never encountered a problem with win xp. I don't think it's the os.
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Originally posted by nodnod

I play ut2003 almost daily and played through unreal 2 twice and have never encountered a problem with win xp. I don't think it's the os.
    agreed

sounds like a memory problem which is always much more obvious when going with XP
    (this OS simply demands stable memory)

you might wanna try doing a search on the net for your MB and RAM make,to see if there are any reocouring incompatabilitys

and UT/UT2k3 are notorious for exposing system instability anyway

and yes no problems playing both in XP here either

I use Win98SE and it works very well. Sure, it has its flaws; it really can't quite cut it when it comes to stability, and it isn't as neat looking as XP, but it works okay. Compatibility with other software/hardware is great.

Win98 First Edition was good also, but gave me some problems since it didn't have support for some programs (like Windows Media Player 9) and drivers (the computer just hung when i tried to install those WDM-drivers).
    "In the end, the one with the biggest gun wins."
    - General Custard

W98SE has always worked for me
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

i find xp to be FAR better than 98se, in fact nascar revolution works now after being useless for a year.... too bad its crap compared to whats out now~~~

anyway im not ever looking back.... xp handles memory so much better (long as you got enough), and i find i dont have to reformat every 4 months because of artery clogs (fricked up registry)

if all you do is game, then 98SE is your ticket. if you want productivity w/ some gaming, NT. If you want productivity w/ gaming for the future go 2k /XP. ME is out of hte question as its dos support for gaming is lacking somewhat compared to 98SE.
    Get busy Living or get busy Dying - Tim Robbins, Shawshank Redemption

When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by krupted
    and i find i dont have to reformat every 4 months because of artery clogs (fricked up registry)
    I've never had to reformat W98SE its always worked very well for me. Yeah you get the occasional BSOD but hey its the best gaming OS and is generally stable for me.
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

Thread Information