I have had a problem with 2 ASUS based systems loosing the ability to detect or read from a floppy inserted in drive A. It has occurred on my A7V266e and now on my A7N8X.

Both of these problems have occurred under Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I have eliminated the drive and cables by installing 3 known good floppy drives and other known good cables.

Device manager shows the drive to be working properly. The activity light comes on during boot up and then goes out. When I try to access the drive from Windows Explorer the activity light comes on and shortly thereafter I get a message "Please insert a disk in drive A". It will not boot from a bootable floppy.

I fixed the problem once by removing all of the cards on the PCI bus except for the Santa Cruz sound card. I then cleared the CMOS, reinstalled the battery and reset my BIOS back up. I then had a good floppy drive again. That procedure has not worked this time.

Thinking it might be XP related I formatted my C-drive and installed a fresh copy of XP but I still did not have a drive that would recognized a disk when inserted.

I have also tried swapping out power supplies with no help. I have run out of ideas. Help please!!!

Other details of my systems,

A7V266e (first system this problem occurred on)
CPU: AMD T-Bird 1.4 - 266
256 MB PC2100
30 GB IBM ATA 100 HD
80 GB IBM ATA 100 HD
Leadtek GEForce 2 MX SH 64MB video card
350 watt power supply
Santa Cruz sound card
Netgear FM114P wireless router
ATI TV tuner
Pinnacle DV500 DVD Plus
Adaptec USB 2.0 strip

A7N8X (present system problem has occurred on)
CPU: AMD XP 2400
256 MB PC2100
40 GB WD ATA 100 HD
80 GB IBM ATA 100 HD
Leadtek GEForce 2 MX SH 64MB video card
400 watt power supply
Santa Cruz sound card
Netgear FM114P wireless router
ATI TV tuner
Pinnacle DV500 DVD Plus
Adaptec USB 2.0 strip