Microsoft vs Logitech
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft vs Logitech

Microsoft vs Logitech

so what is a better optical mouse- Logitech or Microsoft or is it another brand.

being that I will use my upgraded system for some gaming i need an optical mouse (maybe even wireless) that is fast, accurate and responsive and hopefully not too much $$.

any suggestions.

I've always been a M$ fan when it comes to mice, but 2 of my friends recently got Logitec wireless opticals, and they are VERY impressive.

My initial impression is that they track even better than my M$ Wheelmouse, in that they will track on polished woodgrain whereas my M$ tends to skip periodically on the same surface.

I havn't used one for any length of time, but when I come to replace my trusty wheelmouse, I will seriously consider one of these Logitec's.
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

I have a wireless M$ optical explorer.... very nice. Fits the hand very well and has the extra two buttons for forward and back on your browers (or whatever you want to set them for... IE: reload in games). Tracks very well on my desk also. However nothing bad to say about logitec either... they also make awesome stuff.
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

I have used both. I now have a logitech dual optical and a cordless mouse, but I also have an Intellimouse Optical 3.0.

There's really not much between them, although the MS software is superior to Logitechs - but right now, the new Logitech 'MX' mouse range spank - they are the best thing out there.
    The Captain

Shuttle XPC Neon (SB51G)
    Intel P4 3.06Ghz D1 Stepping
    1GB Geil PC3200
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT @ 532/325
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 Player
    Wester Digital Caviar SE x2 (80GB / 120GB)

It's a matter of personal taste, IMO. Same goes for the keyboards.

I use an M$ Blue Optical wireless jobbie, BTW.

MuFu.

I have used the microsoft explorer optical corded and prefer the logitech optical wheel mouse (dual optical). Even though it lacks the extra buttons of the microsoft mouse it just seems smoother. I have only ever owned cordless logitech mice and can confirm that the MX700 is absolutely faultless. It is even better than my corded logitech mouse!!!!
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: RealtekŪ ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

true. i think ill go for the mx700 series. i do have a slight preference to the logitech brand. my first mouse that i still have going 3 years strong is the logitech mouseman wheel 2 that I really wish they still made that shape as it fit my hand real nice (kinda that lopsided shape tailored for right handed people if you remember it)

I have had both Microsoft and Logitech Mice. I prefer the microsoft mice to logitech ones. Microsoft actually builds great keyboards and mice. I have been "duribility' testing them for sometime now, and the MS mice, you can slam down so hard that the track ball comes out, and they still work. Logitech mice are ok, but it gets a little too ergonomic, and it's not as sturdy as MS mice. Now if microsoft could make a Keyboard and mouse combo with a regular wireless key layout,instead of those god awful split ergonomic keyboards. If you are just getting the mouse though, get a Microsoft one. They are great.

Originally posted by Q-Bert
    I really wish they still made that shape as it fit my hand real nice (kinda that lopsided shape tailored for right handed people if you remember it)
    Yup, I had a corded one and a cordless one of that shape The current MX700 is quite comfortable and when I first switched to the first logitech cordless optical mouse I found that the cut down shape actually felt a lot like the bigger original wheelmouse.. The MX700 is the king of mice at the moment as far as gaming goes...
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: RealtekŪ ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

I was playing Quake 3 with my new Logitech MouseMan Optical Cordless mouse last night and it is sooooo much more responsive than my old corded.

Microsoft do nice mice, but I haven't ever owned one so I don't knwo what they are like.

Logitech all the way for me!!!
    Last edited by agw_01; February 14th, 2003 at 09:51 AM.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

well this thread almost convinced me to go wireless. but i think ill stick with the mx500- it is 30 bucks less than the mx700 but from the specs it seems to be the exact same thing but with a cord. same quality optical though .

id quickly like to post my review of the mx700.

it is by far as responsive as my corded mouse (logitech mouseman wheel2). the layout is great and the range is nice. the mouse is a heavier than most but nothing that is excessive to the point of being annoying. i am running this on xp and the only thing a bit noticeable is sometimes you have to scroll the wheel down two clicks for it to register- but this also happened with my old logitech so i figure it is a driver issue- not a wireless mouse issue.

I prefer everything about the Logitechs compared to the Microsofts.

The MS mice also seem to have relatively more reliability problems...

Originally posted by JamesMJ
    Now if microsoft could make a Keyboard and mouse combo with a regular wireless key layout,instead of those god awful split ergonomic keyboards. If you are just getting the mouse though, get a Microsoft one. They are great.
    They do.... Infact they have a pretty Blue Tooth combo wireless/wireless that has a regular keyboard. My friend also has a similar non blue tooth wireless combo. So they make atleast 2 models. I think the Blue Tooth one was $100 at bestbuy.
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

ive seen two optical ms mice break now and ive spilled pop on my logitech and it worked again after it dried,,,

i just bought a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard for $25 off ebay, its worth $70 new i think, this stuff is awesome. Now i have my computer hooked up in my fmily room with my tv and i play games and email and all the stuff

They say it only transmitts 6 feet, but mine works at 20 ft.

i have the logitech optical wireless mouseman on order right now, got it for $15 shipped!!! its $60 at best buy!!

also the wireless gamedpad that logitech has is SIC! i cant believe how good this thing is for $25

Thread Information