Am I cool at 65 degrees C ? or not (Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I cool at 65 degrees C ? or not (Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB)

Am I cool at 65 degrees C ? or not (Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB)

I have an new ASUS A7n8x deluxe mobo and an Athlon XP 2600+ 333MHz FSB with the AMD OEM cooling fan. During gameplay,
    my Asus temperature Probe indicates that my CPU is running at 65 degrees C and my mobo is at 40 degrees C.

That seems realy high to me, since AMD rates the max temperature at only 75 degrees C.

If I remove the side panel of th case, things cool down to around
    58 C on the CPU and 35 C on the mobo.

Still, the CPU temp is scaring the crap out of me!

Am I too hot, or not??? I have nothing to use as a frame of reference.

I would like to see the CPU be in the 40-50 C range I think, with the case panels ON.

Recommendations??!?!?!?!

I also took the case fan and held it blowing on the AMD processor for a while an this only shaved 3 degrees off the total. not what I had hoped. If that worked I would have cut a few holes in the side panel and mounted some additional fans there aimed at the CPU. No such luck.

Maybe I am worried about nothing. Am I??!?!?!

Here is some other background info.... I bought a new desk which had a nice cabinet to hide the CPU, and my system got overheated, and crashed a lot (little did I know) and fried the old CPU and mother board (Athlon 1.1Ghz + a7v133), which fried my NIC, which in turn fried my Linksys router, which disrupted my internet access, which first alerted me to the problem. A little late!

So I have taken the CPU out of the desk cabinet and have it under the desk now. I noticed that I did not have a case cooling fan and have added one.

If I could get the CPU down to 40-50 C working, I could put some exhaust fans inside the desk to cools that down too.
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe - BIOS rev 1003
    2 x 256 MB PC3200 DDR
    PNY GeForce4 TI-4200 64MB
    Windows ME

you need to work on the case cooling it seems, yes if those temps are not at load its verrry high, and your case temp is too high to begin with, if when you remove the case panel it drops like that then its definetly the case cooling.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Yes I too think it is really high....

What temps should I have for CPU and CASE ?
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    2 x 256 MB PC3200 DDR
    Windows ME

for a non overclocked system in normal room temps case temps should be sub 30's and cpu temps between 40 and 50 depending on usage, maybe upto 55 under heavy continuous load.

most peeps here would want them a lot lower than that too but then they tend to have high spec cooling components and are on something of a quest for perfection.

firstly, check the seating of the heatsink on the cpu, although it appears the case temps are the issue, its still worth checking, possibly worth using a decent thermal transfer compond to help the contact with the surface of the chip.

secondly
    work on clearing up the path of air flow from the bottom of the case to the top, clearing up loose cables etc, move your pci cards e.g. sound card, nic, modem, tv card (none give off any major levels of heat) as low as possible to maximise the amount of free air space around the chipset, cpu graphics card and ram. Also locate the hard drive/s away from each other, ideally with a spare 3.5" space in between each to allow air to flow across them too.

finally check nothing is obstructing the exhaust fans for the power supply, case fans etc.

Check the temps in BIOS. Chances are the temp in BIOS id from the internal DIOD. The check it under Windows. The internal diod is usually 10'C warmer or more. If your temps are not from teh internal diod, then your temps are very high.

Case cooling can help. Clean up the cables (and dust) and tie everything out of the way of airflow. You need at least one fan front and back. The grills over the fans should not restrict the air. If they do then you might cut out the grills and install chrome wire fan grills (very cheap at most computer stores). Better fans might help, but then you might have to deal with louder fans. If case temps are still a bit high you could add a blowhole in the side, top, or bottom. As for heatsinks, you might try something liek an SK-7. They run about $20-30 and can use any standard 80mm fan. Even low RPM a quiet fans on an SK-7 will cool MUCH better than the AMD heatsink and fan.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I too was worried about temps with my stock AMD fan and a 2100+, as it was running about 58 under load.

I looked around AMD's website a few months ago because I was concerned and came across just what I needed. I can't remember the link, though you could probably find it, so you're just going to have to trust me. In a PDF about cooling, I read that all Athlon XP's up through 2600+ have a die temperature of 90*-95*C. Also very important, it mentioned that the average temperature for an XP with AMD stock cooling is 60-65*C. While that may seem hot, it is at least 25* under the die temperature.

Don't worry about it too much unless you're going to OC. I got a Tt Volcano 9 just to be safe and it dropped my temps immediately by about 8 or 9 degrees. And anyways, running an AthlonXP at a high temperature, say 70 degrees, will cut its life marginally, because in 8-10 years when it dies, who will be using a 2Ghz when 20 is standard?

Good luck -- Sean
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

erm, if its 65C idle as i said, then chances are it'll hit close or past 80C on full load i.e crash time. AMD rates the thermal limits of the core before permanent damage or cpu death not as a general operating temp, 65C loaded is fairly ok, but 40C case is not.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

My 1600+@1688 with 1.8v never tops 36C at 100% load.
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

my 1700+ @ 1825 1.65v idles at around 38 and hits 46 under load unless I have the heating cranked right up in which case it may go as high as 49! case temps are always around 30-32

I'd expect the temps to drop quite a bit if I had:
    a. any case fans
    b. a cpu fan running louder than 22 db (min spin speed on 92mm zalman cooler)
    c. a case larger than my mini wide atx tower with psu located over the cpu...
    d. active cooling on the chipset and graphics card

but i'm happy with the temps and not hearing the fans

A few things for you to try if you want to reduce the temp. Firstly make sure that the airflow from the cpu heatsink and fan is not being blocked by the PSU. This happened with me and my CPU was running at around 71C. I had by a new case where the PSU hung above the motherboard. Ths temp the dropped to what AMD say is normal 55-65C. You also need to make sure that the airflow in and out of the case is constant. What I have seen recommend is to have a case fan at the front of your case blowing the cold air into your case, and another case fan at the back blowing the hot air out. This then creates a constant airflow through your case. Remember though that the fan at the front has to turned round so that it is blowing air in and not out. Hope this is of some help to you.

Andy

A few things for you to try if you want to reduce the temp. Firstly make sure that the airflow from the cpu heatsink and fan is not being blocked by the PSU. This happened with me and my CPU was running at around 71C. I had by a new case where the PSU hung above the motherboard. Ths temp the dropped to what AMD say is normal 55-65C. You also need to make sure that the airflow in and out of the case is constant. What I have seen recommend is to have a case fan at the front of your case blowing the cold air into your case, and another case fan at the back blowing the hot air out. This then creates a constant airflow through your case. Remember though that the fan at the front has to turned round so that it is blowing air in and not out. Hope this is of some help to you.

Andy

Well, I have had a lot of good advice, so here is what I plan to do....

For some bizzare reason, the CPU holder cabinet in my desk has a
    rectangular slot on the left rear of the box (4"wide x 20" high) If I put my computer CPU in the desk with that side panel removed. I can look through the slot and see the Athlon fan directly. The slot is there so you can feed you cables through and keep them hidden.

So I am going to put a case fan at the front bottom of my case, blowing in. Also, I am going to cut a hole in my side panel near the top rear (almost over the Athlon heatsink, as high as I can get,and as far to the rear of the case as I can get it, just below the power-supply). I will mount another case fan there. This fan will blow out, and should blow directly out of the 4x20 slot in my desk, so hot air won't circulate back in directly.

The last piece of the puzzle is to somehow mount flexible duct or wide hose over the power-supply exhaust fan at the rear top of my case and have that redirect the hot air from the power supply out of the desk cabinet out the 4x20 slot as well. I may even put a shorty duct on the side-panel fan to make sure it goes out of the 4x20 slot as well.

Anyone see an issues with this?

Oh, and since several people mentioned this too...
    As far as cables and other things being in the way, I have the case pretty empty and neat. I have the ribbon cables out of the way, and have no PCI cards to block stuff, just an AGP card. That's it.

Anyway, unless I hear a compelling reason not to do this, I will get out my scrolling saw and start cutting (at least the sidepanel can be removed easily so I don't need to worry about metal chips).

Comments?
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    2 x 256 MB PC3200 DDR
    Windows ME

sounds tons better than what you have currently. One thing about the ducts though. The PSU fans usually don't generate a very high static pressure. If you put a duct there, then make sure it doesn't obstruct the hole at all, and make it very wide. I would make it so that the edges of it mate with the edges of the hole you have. I always had my doubts about the CPU cabinet in computer desks. Alot of them are closed, and our computers are electronics that generate heat. makes you wonder.
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

I have the AMD2800+ with asus A7N8X oc to 2.46ghz and a 175Mhz fsb. A word about the bios temps, mine were way out of whack reading about 12C higher than asus probe or mbm 5. I flashed to the new bios 1002 and the temps dropped to almost exact same reading as asus probe and mbm 5. I use a thermalright slk-800 with a thermaltake 5000 rpm variable speed fan. My temps at full load for 5 hours on prime 95 are 50.5C and at idle 37C. Under normal loads it runs about 42-44C.

some thermal paste and a few fans and you should be good to go

Thread Information