Advice on the Koolance plz...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Advice on the Koolance plz...

Advice on the Koolance plz...

I'm interested in purchasing the Koolance PC2-C but I'd like to know what other people think of it, or if anyone has any advice.
    I'm not confident enough to build my own water cooling system, and after seeing this system I knew I'd just have to have it. http://www.koolance.com/products/pc2-c/

I'm building a new computer over the next 6 months which will be pretty much top of the range... and I'm kinda worried whether there are any problems associated with putting all this new equipment into this case. You know the Geforce 4's, I read you have to get the chipset cooler because the normal video card cooler doesn't fit the geforce's properly. Is this true and would it be more effective than the standard fan on the Geforce 4? Cause I read something about the case cooling system not being too effective on video cards and chipsets.

Any advice you guys/gals can give me I would extremely appreciate.

Thanks,
    Patrick

(Edited to fix link)

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 03-16-2002).]

If you are building a "top of the range" computer, I would seriously consider the Swiftech Quiet Power. It's a higher quality product than the Koolance with better cooling. You can read my thoughts on it here and a direct comparison with the Koolance here.

------------------
    Knowledge is useless, itís what you do with it that counts.
    Knowledge is useless, itís what you do with it that counts.

That's certainly a better looking case than the PC2-C, but it's also signifiganly more expensive.

If you go with a Koolance, be careful about breaking the waterblock. The top is plastic and when I was trying to reconnect the tubing, I broke it. The chipset cooler also didn't cover the entire north bridge on the KK266 I was putting it on. Finally, the PC2-C is such a small case, it's really hard to work in there. And it may have been me, but I couldn't put the HDD in the slot below the floppy, it was too tight.

------------------
    "What are you, my therapist!?! TAKE A WALK!!!

Interested in more great conversation? Visit JJR512's Board

We'd love to have you on our Genome@Home Team.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

Well thanks for the input but I'm still looking into the Koolance. Sure the Quiet Power runs several degrees less than the Koolance but it is virtually double the cost. And it's supposed to be real heavy... not exactly convenient for LanPartys.

The overclockers article on the Koolance (here) describes a lot about inadequate air flow, I kinda got lost, so what do I have do to overcome this? Is it as simple as plugging in a fan at the back?

And finally, I'm likely to use an Enermax power supply, but I've read that you need to make modifications to the bar which runs across the top of the case to make proper use of the fans in the PS. How hard is this to do?

Thanks again,
    Patrick

You might want to try a Senfu watercooling kit which is pretty easy to set up and gives you free reign when it comes to cases.

Don't be under the impression that the Koolance is quiet, it ain't. Isn't exactly noisy either, but if you go to http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk you'll see some proper-quiet stuff.

MuFu.

------------------
    Athlon XP@2000+
    Cooler Master HHC-001@7V
    KG7R
    Crucial 512MB@152MHz
    Radeon 8500LE@315/640MHz
    60GXP 60GB
    75GXP 30GB
    SBLive! 5.1
    PlexWriter 10/10/40A
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    WinXPP
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Well to tell you the truth I am a bit of a newby... my first to liquid cooling anyway... and I don't think I'm ready to build by own. All that water passing by expensive electronics....

That's why I love the Koolance. It's fairly cheap and real easy.
    I don't really have a problem with the noise I mean it can't be louder than the jumbo jet I have at the moment.

But thanks for the input, I am open to other options and may be swayed if there's something better without added cost.

My only real concern is the modification for proper use of the power supply? anyone encountered this or knows of this?

Thanks,
    Patrick

i have the pc2-c and am quite happy with it. it is good for the price and has dual pumps which no other one has. if one fails the processor won't overheat and the system will shut down. the noise is not silent as koolance claims yet it is a big step for most people with like 4+ noisy fans in their case. right now i was thinking of changing out the top 3 fans for stealth fans and getting a quieter PS.
    Antec P160
    Intel D865GBF
    P4 3.06 @ 3.06
    1GB PC3200
    250Gig Maxtor
    120Gig Maxtor
    Lite-On 52x32x52 Burner
    HP 300i DVD Burner
    ATI All in Wonder 2006 Edition
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Windows XP Pro w/SP2

i found a video review over at