a7n8x northbridge heatsink
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: a7n8x northbridge heatsink

Hybrid View

a7n8x northbridge heatsink

How do I remove the northbridge heatsink on my Asus a7n8x? Do I have to remove the mobo from the case to do it?
    I wanted to get some AS3 on there and maybe add a fan. there are two little black retension clips that have push buttons on the tops. Nothing happens when I push them though.

Thoughts? Thanks.
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Not sure about the Asus, but I worked on a shuttle board before. I think you have to get to the backside to undo them. The ends of the plastic clips expand to secure it to the mobo. A needle nose pliars should do the job, just don't scratch the board. Once you get those undone, you will find that the thermal epoxy they use to be pretty sticky, so some gentle prying may be required. Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip should get the remaining goo off.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I think you need to pull the pin out of the middle of the clip first, then pull the plastic clip out.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

taken care of, it was just a matter of pinching the clippy parts of the pins that held down the HS. I did have to remove the motherboard from the case though.

There was a gummy pink substance attached to the heatsink though, and almost none of it was left on the chip. I replaced it with arctic silver 3 and made sure it had good contact. I haven't put a fan on it yet though.

I'll let you know if this helps me get over my FSB hump at right around 170!

Thanks for the tips!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Thread Information