Is this a good LCD Monitor for games?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is this a good LCD Monitor for games?

Is this a good LCD Monitor for games?

Info about it: Samsung 171v

Does anyone know? Or should I stick with my current CRT monitor and wait for a better LCD one come out?
    Main Computer Specs:
    Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 45nm
    Asus P5E
    4gb OCZ Reaper HPC PC6400
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT
    SupremeFX II Mobo Audio (for time being)
    Wynndows7 Home Premium 64Bit
    Currently playing; Crysis, Just Cause 2, Alien Swarn, Borderlands, and Starcraft 2.

I'd look at the response time . .anything 25ms and below should suffice according to what other people on the boards tell me
    Get busy Living or get busy Dying - Tim Robbins, Shawshank Redemption

When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming - Bruce Lee

I personnally wont even look at an LCD monitor until they get to 10MS. Plus most manufacturers consider a screan to be good if it has 6 or less burned out pixels. This would drive me nuts. Some are worse and will not RMA a screan unless it has over 30. Would you want 30 black pixels on your screen? I wouldn't. How much guosting is acceptable to you. I don't want any. I will not look at an LCD until it has the same or better image quality in 2D, 3D and movies and the prices are more comparable.

If you have a good monitor then stick with it.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I believe I've seen this monitor at Best Buy and I was not very impressed. Color was sort of "washed out" not at all vibrant and the image did not appear particularly sharp. On the other hand, there was little streaking or ghosting and that I suppose is good. Keep in mind, this was with whatever BB was looping, and while the screen was moving, it's obviously not a fair representation of gaming. I don't know anything about the device driving the image and I did not bother to play with the settings on the monitor at all.

I'm currently looking for a 17" LCD for my fiance and one my requirements for the LCD is DVI-D. That the 171V does not have this is a big minus to me. That I haven't found a quality review on the monitor is also a minus (one of the sites I frequent should notice if the monitor is that good).

As with any recommendation regarding monitors if at all possible, have a look first. I had always been against the use of LCDs for gaming but after some reviews and a little monitor envy of my friends LCD I recently took the plunge and received it last Friday. Me likey. No dead pixels or subpixels. After a little UT2k3, GR, and AoM during a LAN, I wonder why I didn't dump my Mits 900u long ago. Oh yeah, money. Anyway, try to see it in action and even if the 171V doesn't do it for you, there are suitable LCDsfor gaming out now.

Originally posted by g13
    I'm currently looking for a 17" LCD for my fiance and one my requirements for the LCD is DVI-D. That the 171V does not have this is a big minus to me. That I haven't found a quality review on the monitor is also a minus (one of the sites I frequent should notice if the monitor is that good).
    It doesn't have a DVI output? Oh, forget that then. My cousin and her husband along with my friend have flat panel monitors that they connect to their video cards through the DVI input. My is just there wasting not being used on my GeForce 4. (in my sig)

Maybe I will check out the 171T.
    Last edited by Wynner2; February 17th, 2003 at 03:49 AM.
    Main Computer Specs:
    Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 45nm
    Asus P5E
    4gb OCZ Reaper HPC PC6400
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT
    SupremeFX II Mobo Audio (for time being)
    Wynndows7 Home Premium 64Bit
    Currently playing; Crysis, Just Cause 2, Alien Swarn, Borderlands, and Starcraft 2.

Last check,
    No TFTs were seriously considered for die-hard gamers...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Originally posted by Wynner2

It doesn't have a DVI output? Oh, forget that then. My cousin and her husband along with my friend have flat panel monitors that they connect to their video cards through the DVD input. My is just there wasting not being used on my GeForce 4. (in my sig)

Maybe I will check out the 171T.
    Check out the Samsung 172T (click for review) while you're at it. Best 17" LCD available, IMO (but then I would say that, hehe...).

I play games all the time and don't really notice any ghosting, but if you are a really serious gamer then Hitachi makes some pretty nice, responsive monitors.

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Biggest bind with gaming on an LCD is that you have to run all your games at native resolution unless you want some nasty scaling effects. On a 17" panel this means you will be running everything at 1280x1024, but your Ti4400 should cope fine with this. I play all my games at different resolutions depending on what suits their speed best and whether they look better with AA/AF compared to a higher resolution. Just wanted to make sure you knew that response time is not the only compromise when gaming on an LCD.

On the upside they are gorgeous to work with, look great and save space, not to mention all the chicks that will be after you with such a keen eye for cutting-edge hardware (OK, maybe not, they'll just think you have a lot of cash to spend, on them). One last recommendation is to look at the Iiyama 4314, pretty cheap, great contrast and a 20ms repsonse. Haven't seen one but I think there was a review over at Tom's Hardware that I never got time to check out. On paper though, it's a definitely worth a look.

Bennyboy.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

That Iiyama unfortunately has no DVI input either. That disqualified it for me from the start.

I agree with MuFu, I have a 172T and love it. Don't play games so can't comment about that use, but the picture for regular use is fantastic. Also - it DOES have DVI, which is how I use it.

Bill
    AMD 9950 Quaad-core processor
    M2N-SLI Deluxe board
    4 GB OCZ Gold
    WD 500GB SATA2 HD
    Antec True Power 750
    Antec Sonta case
    BFG 8600GT 256MB video
    Samsung 940bx 19" LCD
    Samsung SH-S203B DVD
    On board NIC
    SB Audigy sound
    XP Pro 64 bit

Just remembered, here is a good review of the 172T.

Bill
    AMD 9950 Quaad-core processor
    M2N-SLI Deluxe board
    4 GB OCZ Gold
    WD 500GB SATA2 HD
    Antec True Power 750
    Antec Sonta case
    BFG 8600GT 256MB video
    Samsung 940bx 19" LCD
    Samsung SH-S203B DVD
    On board NIC
    SB Audigy sound
    XP Pro 64 bit

Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Bearing in mind that Tom's Hardware insists that they see no difference between DVI and analog input, and in at least one instance they actually recommend using the analog input on a monitor which has both... My only explanation would be that the entire staff of Tom's Hardware is legally blind. Or hopeless amateurs.

Well, actually, they _are_ hopeless amateurs either way. I've seen professional reviews of LCD displays, and Tom's "we played UT once and it sorta looked ok" kind of reviews are _not_ among them.

Originally posted by Moraelin v2.0
    Bearing in mind that Tom's Hardware insists that they see no difference between DVI and analog input...
    No sh!t! That is unbelievable.

The difference is astonishing, and not just because of the improved clarity/colour saturation. Those worried about ghosting - using the DVI port really goes a long way towards clearing it up, even on LCDs with 25ms+ response times.

MuFu.

Thread Information