GUIDE: Overclocking With The nForce2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GUIDE: Overclocking With The nForce2

Hybrid View

Cool GUIDE: Overclocking With The nForce2

Source:
    Motherboard manufacturers began enabling overclocking features in the system BIOS rather than the tedious process of manual jumper or dipswitch settings. Combine this ease of use with the tremendous overhead available in many of today's modern processors, along with the ever-present lure of getting something for little or nothing, and it's easy to see why overclocking has become such a popular pastime.
    This article is packed with information! Enjoy!

Good article........but quickly do you thinking that fan on that website is spinning at - 400rpm?
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Originally posted by davidstone28
    Good article........but quickly do you thinking that fan on that website is spinning at - 400rpm?
    By observation, it takes about 3 seconds for the fan to rotate once. 1/3 rotations per second. 60x(1/3) = 20 times per minute. That is, 20rpm would be my guess. Wow, I just had a Engineering 101 flashback.

not to be a smarta$$, but you don't really need a guide to overclock an NForce2 system

It isn't exactly hard.
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

you don't really need a guide to overclock an NForce2 system

Thats true, overclocking with todays boards is easy, you just need an interest and a will to try it. But for the newbie who knows nothing about hardware, clocking, heat etc.. its a great article.

I'm working on overclocking my Asus A7N8X when I get my 9700PRO. I've been doing some minor overclocking to see how this board compares to the Soyo SY-KT400 DragonULTRA I traded it for....wow, there are a lot more features.

Kid Chaos
    You were right! This board is FULL of headaches. I had W98SE installed and for 3 days NOTHING would work, I was ready to send it back. UNTIL, I got ahold of WindowsXP PRO. It installed the first time. I flashed the BIOS to V1002. Windows installed everything for the board except for the 2nd ethernet port. I installed the latest 4-in-1's and also the 3com drivers....this board is a DREAM!!! I am more than happy with this thing. Im working on getting a 2nd RAM module to take advantage of Dual-Channel...but other than that...not too bad at all!

Oh yeah! 3 Cheers for NVidia Soundstorm!!! Im selling my Turtle Beach: Santa Cruz card....this integrated audio is killer!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

Cool

Congrats on the new system, venom! Wicked fast and ready for the next generation of games!

The guide didn't really mention nForce2 specific quircks like the overclocking limitations in dual channel mode (being limited to around 200MHz in dual channel but in single channel being able to get as high as 240MHz), BIOS problems with the 8RDA and how to resolve them. For example, my 8RDA sets my Tbred to run at 1050MHz after clearing CMOS or inserting a new proc, if I up the multiplier then up the fsb past 200, it won't boot, so you have to hold the Insert key to restore it on next boot. So then you have to up the multiplier and core voltage (if you know your cpu needs it), reboot, then up the fsb to 200MHz, reboot and then up it to whatever setting you want. I've seen other people who have had the same problem. It's not really a big deal, but if the author of the article had mentioned it, I would have given him a little more credit.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I've noticed I have to do this too. If I adjust both at the same time I get no post, and the processor unworkable error warning beep/siren/whatever. I have to change the FSB down, reboot, change the multi give more v, reboot, change the FSB, and reboot.
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Thread Information