To Be Announced Processor...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: To Be Announced Processor...

To Be Announced Processor...

Cannot_Find_String Mhz...

My daughter is a freshman in college. When she left for school I sent her off with the oldest, slowest machine in the house. Something built with an HP motherboard that was OEM'd by ASUS. It is an i810 all-in-one deal that only supports PPGA CPUs. I had outfitted it with a PPGA Celeron 533, because that was the fastest CPU that it actually supported.

I had tried putting FCPGA coppermines in it before and it was adamant about not posting. Well the machine is at home for a little TLC (this girl downloads everything in sight, and has slammed any machine I gave her an average of three to five time a year.

A few weeks ago I picked up a powerleap NEO from somebody here and I thought I'd give it a try. According to the charts at powerleap, the only reported success with this particular motherboard was from some guy who had to mangle the thing (it has an LED that sticks out from one corner that runs straight into an array of capacitors). He just cut the LED right off, I was able to shave a little off the board, without removing it.

I had two cellys to play with a 1.0Ghz, and a 733Mhz. I put the 1Gig in and fired it up. it posted right up, only failing to properly ID the CPU. I checked with Sandra, and the machine said it was running a 666Mhz (10x66 I assumed). I tried a couple of different jumper sttings but it stayed pretty much the same. ..The only thing I didn't do was run the CPU benchmark; I was only looking at the CPU information screen.

I took the 1Ghz out and put the 733 in. It still posts, and it still doesn't have a clue what chip it is running. This time, in addition to checking the CPU info, I also ran the CPU benches in Sandra. It matches up well as a 733, and seemed to be stable. I decided to play with the FSB jumpers a little anyway. Well, when I jumper everything to 100Mhz Sandra still thinks the chip is a 733, but it benches like an 1100 .

Color me happy, I have been running DF on it for over an hour, and it hasn't flaked out yet. The generic alloy cooler isn't even very hot.

Anyway, I don't care what it calls it, if it keeps running I'm going to leave it this way.
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Woo Hoo! Good job you did with that old NEO you got for $10. I'm glad you got some great tweaking use out of it. Did you cut off the little red light?

(this girl downloads everything in sight, and has slammed any machine I gave her an average of three to five time a year.)
    good job
    Now she can slam it almost twice as fast

No, I didn't have to cut the LED off, I just trimmed the square shaped tab it was mounted on into a triangle with an exacto knife and it slid right between two of the caps.

And yeah, the machine will still be a mess. Usually it isn't actually infected with anything evil, just overrun with spyware and useless background utilities.

I has made it through just under 24 hours of burn-in without incident. That will do nicely!
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Thread Information