sony 52x24x52 cdrw
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: sony 52x24x52 cdrw

sony 52x24x52 cdrw

Is there a program that takes advantage of the 52x writing capability? ezcd5 shows that the actual max it really writes is around 32x or so. I have used fireburner, and clonecd, as well as some of the others but none of them really show what the burn speed is. Its not so terribly necessary to burn that fast, but the drive says it can so id like to see it.

Cheers!

Writing at a continuous 52X (7.8MB per second) would be quite demanding for many computers. It may be that your computer isn't capable of sustaining a data rate of that speed.

and the speed the media can handle limits you as well.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

i'm currently running a 2.8gig intel chip with 512mb of pc2100 ddr, various other junk but this is the meat of it.

No drive is capable of sustaining 52x across the entire surface. Spinning a disc fast enough to permit 52x writes at the beginning (near the spindle) will cause the disc to fly apart.

CloneCD (at least, the version I'm running) reports actual current burn speed on my 24x LiteOn drive. It even shows the pause as that Z-CLV drive "shifts gears". It doesn't show an overall average (something that for the life of me I can't imagine why I'd need anyway).

Your Sony -- actually a rebadged LiteOn -- starts at 24x and gradually accelerates to 52x at the end of the disc. Unless you record all the way to the end of the disc, the drive will not approach 52x.

good answer, thanks for the reply

thats good info, with that in mind, im guessing you only really need a 24x burner then? anything faster is only proportional.... the speed increase negligable?

Somewhat. It depends on the drive. My 24x burns at 16x for a few minutes, 20x for a few more, then goes to 24x. cubcake1's new 52x drive starts at 24x and ramps up to 52x, making that drive somewhat under twice as fast (the 24x actually averages about 21x across an 80minute disc, the 52x averages about 39x or so).

Quite a bit of the speed advantage of the faster drives occurs in the latter part of the disc, which isn't always used. It takes almost 40 minutes (of capacity) for a 52x drive to reach 40x, so burning a copy of a typical popular CD, for example, never uses the additional speed capability of the high speed burner.

The argument could be made that drive manufacturers are being somewhat deceptive in their claimed drive speeds, I suppose, but it's probably not any worse than hard drive makers who've redefined a gigabyte as 1 billion bytes.

well a liteon 52x24x52 is only $53 so you might as well

Cubcake1, how loud is your 52x24x52? Mine is pretty loud, although it is a cheesy Memorex. No quality problems yet, though! I'm wondering if it is just the nature of a 52x burner that makes it loud, or if it doesn't use ABS vibration control, like I think the Sony line does.

Sean
    Opteron 165 @ 280x9 = 2.52GHz
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    BFG 7600GT OC
    Corsair 2GB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Seagate Barracuda 200GB SATA
    NEC 3500A 16X DL DVD±RW

please dont buy sony. ok i have a sony burner and i cant say ive had any problems, but dont buy sony, theyre evil, very very evil

Thread Information