BIG problem after installing 9500 128 Non-Pro
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: BIG problem after installing 9500 128 Non-Pro

BIG problem after installing 9500 128 Non-Pro

I installed my Sapphire 9500 128 Non-pro video card today flawlessly. I got ATi's latest drivers from their site, was able to configure my TV as an extended desktop, played around a bit with the resolutions and refresh rates, I then downloaded 3D Mark 2001 SE so I could compare this new card with my old GF2 GTS 32 MB. I got to the Nature demo of the benchmark and my computer shut off.

Now it won't turn on. At all.

Is my power supply screwed?

It is or I guess WAS a 300W. I had it connected in parallel with the Live! Drive from my SB Live! Platinum 5.1 sound card. I think that is the only thing that can be wrong. I disconnected everything and then tried again and nothing would happen when I'd push the power button.

If my supply is busted can anyone reccommend a good on? What size? I want a quiet one too.

If anyone can help that'd be awesome.
    -ryan

rygy: I know this may sound stupid but............. did you unplug the power cord from the tower and check to see if there was electrical flow through the cord while plugged into wall socket, surge suppressor, UPS, etc.? What brand/model computer and windowsOS do you have? If there is electrical flow to the PS and the fans on the PS don't turn, the PS is shot. Here is a link to a manufacturer that we have used for years:

http://www.startechcomp.com/ststore/...m?category=P50

Personally, I recommend the ATXPOW450PRO($152.99). This is a
    standard PS in PCs, Workstations and Servers built in the shop. An afterthought; make sure the switch on the back of the power supply is on!

I have XP Pro on a 1.4 GHz Athlon, 256 MB DDR, 16x DVD, 16x CD-RW, 20 GB Quantum Fireball HD.

I know the switch on the PS was in the "on" position and when I plug it into the wall the fan does NOT turn.

I thought though it would only turn when the PC is totally on. Why would it all of a sudden up and go on me. It been perfect for 1.5 years.
    Thanks for the reply. Anything else I can try?
    Barton 2500+
    NF7-S
    60GB Western Digital
    2x256MB Corsair XMS
    Enermax 350W PS
    Sapphire 9500 128MB NP mod to 9700 Pro

If my supply is busted can anyone reccommend a good on? What size? I want a quiet one too.
    I'm not sure if your psu is the problem but Enermax and Antec are excellent choices. 350W at the minimum.

rygy: Sorry, I was on some other threads. When you have the pronged end of the power cable plugged in, unplug the other end from the power supply and use a tester to see if there is any juice on that end. If not, check for juice where the prong end is plugged in at. If there is juice at the prong end but not at the power supply end, then the power cable is bad. If there is no juice at the prong end outlet then check for blown fuse, circuit-breaker etc. If there is juice to the power supply, check to see if the power supply itself has a fuse or circuit-breaker. No burn or overheat smell in that area? Unhook power supply from everything inside tower case. Hook a test switch up to the end that was hooked to the tower on/off switch. Turn on switch. If the power supply comes on - it's okay. If not - it's shot. If power supply comes on, turn off. Hook all wires back up inside case(leave test switch hooked up) and turn switch back on. If everything works, the switch on tower is bad. Is the LED(light) on your motherboard lit up? If none of this solves anything.......... it's fairly late here and the windchill is about 35 degrees BELOW zero. I need to go out and check on my coonhound and clear my head. I'll check back in a little bit.

not sure if this helps, but I've run into a similar problem before, try this:

Either unplug the power connector from the motherboard, or flip the PSU switch to off. Then switch the Clear CMOS jumper over for a couple seconds, then put it back. Reconnect everything and make sure you flip the PSU back to the ON position. Try it then.

I have no idea why, but sometimes when OCing on my MSI k7t 266 turbo, it simply wouldn't turn on and this was the only way to get it to. It's a long shot, but it's worth a try, if you don't mind resetting your BIOS...

And if your PSU is shot, I have an Enermax 431 W PSU that I love, nice long cables, plenty of connectors, and it hasn't faultered in the least when i throw lots of hardware at it.
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Swedishlf: If my previous suggestions didn't work, i was headed in your direction. Hate to mess with the BIOS until the simpler checks are done. You'd be surprised how many times the steps I listed above will solve this type problem - it's one of those "so simple" that you don't think of it!

Thread Information