Too Many Stickies....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Stickies....

B4TMANN Guest

Too Many Stickies....

Everytime I come back there is another Sticky at the top of the page.

Cant we just have a forum called Stickies?

Pretty soon we'll have to scroll down half the page just to see new posts.

LOL.....yeah, its starting to pile up.

the sticky forum sounds interesting. or a general-FAQ-sticky forum.

I agree -- the vendor links and resources stickies were a good idea, but now it seems every third or fourth ordinary thread is needlessly promoted to stickyhood. I'm tempted to go into an unstickying frenzy, but for now I vote to call a moratorium while we discuss the best way to add a "resources" or "greatest hits" topic. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Eric

B4TMANN Guest

:-)

I say we need a "read this first" forum....

Or a FAQ/Stickies forum....

You know what else.............while I'm at it....I really miss the Off Topic forum...

:-)

Peace

Yeah, a seperate Sticky forum would be a good idea.

I don't mind having useful links and tips posted at the top of a forum, but it does add a bit of clutter when you are trying to find a thread.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Re: Too Many Stickies....

Originally posted by B4TMANN
    Everytime I come back there is another Sticky at the top of the page.
    The fact that you are "falling over them" proves that they are a tool worth using for important issues/hot subjects.

Got to be used appropriately and in moderation though, I agree. I hope you are joking about the "Sticky Forum" (?!). That would kind of defeat the point a bit.

MuFu.

lol, not a sticky forum per say, more like a general information forum i guess, with links to various things that have proved useful in the other forums.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

B4TMANN Guest

MuFu

The fact that you are "falling over them" proves that they are a tool worth using for important issues/hot subjects.
    I disagree. I think it simply proves that people dont know how to use the 'search' button. How about one sticky that says "CLICK HERE YOU DUMB DONKY, LEARN HOW TO DO A SEARCH"

That might work

In Fact, After I noticed the other sticky post about too many stickies, I thought it might be a good idea to fill this forum up with stickies

Well, to be honest I agree on the links stickies - no need for them, IMO (mutiny in the HWC ranks, arrrgh!!!). BUT, "hot off the press" stuff should hit the top of the forum and stay there for people to see. Searching won't benefit in the case of such topics.

I've only stickied a couple of things in video cards so far (I think) - one about DX9 being released and another about the Radeon 9500-to-9700 mod. Both were worth reading for pretty much everybody and it was nice to get all the feedback in one place instead of scattered across several threads.

MuFu.

P.S. I just had another look at the general forum in view of this thread. Um... yeah, LOL.

I think there should be another solution for stickies, but I don't think having a sticky forum is the way to go.
    Eric

What about merging all the sticky threads into one?
    Eric

We survived without stickies before, how about we just keep the sticky threads up for a week or two then bring them down once discussion comes to a halt in them.

ECross, when you said merge the stickies, did you mean the "Popular Links" ones? In that case, it's probably not a bad idea, that way they'd consolidate into a single thread in the General forum or something along those lines. I've un-stuck two threads in the Software forum already since discussion had come to a stand still in them.

>We survived without stickies before, how about we just keep the sticky threads up for a week or two then bring them down once discussion comes to a halt in them.

Yeah, I agree but I'm afraid that there will be a member that will find another popular link and the thread will continue. I think no matter what in two weeks bring them down. It's really not hard to a search and find a topic. That's why we have a search function at HwC.

Bink, I was referring to all the stickies, not just the "Popular Links" ones. Maybe that isn't such a good idea though, huh?
    Last edited by ecross; January 20th, 2003 at 12:02 PM.
    Eric

I just took the liberty of sticking this thread in the name of irony.

MuFu.

Thread Information