heat sink makes the temp up!?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat sink makes the temp up!?

Hybrid View

heat sink makes the temp up!?

i put the heat sink the retail box give me on my P4 2.4Gz
    but the temperature is not down,but up!!!
    usually the temp is 35+ cmos before i use the heat sink
    but now it's 45+ at cmos after i use the heat sink
    how can it be???

the current temp:

Did you take off the protective covering for the thermal pad? If that's not it then I would take the HSF off and reapply some ASIII.
    Epox 8RDA+ (Rev 1.2 w/ C1 Stepping)
    XP 1700+ TBred B (OC'ed 2450 MHz)
    SLK-800(A), Enermax 350W
    Buffalo Technology PC3200, 256MB X 2
    ATI Radeon 9500 Modded to 9700 Pro
    WDC 120 GB (8MB Cache)
    Sony Trinitron 19" & KDS 17" TFT LCD
    Logitech iFeel Optical Mouse

What heatsink were you using before?
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

the heat sink in the P4 rerail box
    is 74c high for the p4?do i need the water cooling to prevent the overheat of the p4 chip
    by the way,what the ASIII is?

74C is waaaaayyyyy to high for ANY cpu, ASIII is a thermal compound, Arctic Silver III.
    you don't need to watercool anything, but you do need to give us more info, such as 'when you put the heat sink on' , do you run the cpu without the heatsink??? that can cause major permanent damage to any chip.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

i just put the heat sink on today,then the temp up to 45 in cmos
    before that ,i never use any heat sink,only the cpu fan which is given by the intel,just like the heat sink in the cpu retail box too
    and the temp is 35 in cmos with the fan only
    but when loading window xp, the software show that the temp is 75

my only conclusion is that you messed up the installation, or did not remove the tab, if it came with nothing at the bottom (bare metal) you must use thermal compound between cpu heatspreader and heatsink.

i just put the heatsink on the cpu and the surface of the fan which touched the cpu
    ,where can i get the thermal compound ?

most stores that deal in computer parts should have, i dunno the prices where you live but here is about 99p to 5 pounds depending on quantity and some brands like Arctic silver cost a bit more, but also perform somewhat better

got it,thanks for help

You really are confusing me a bit here. It sounds like you are saying you did now use a heatsink befor, a big block of aluminum fins to disipate heat with that normally comes with a fan on top... This would be VERY bad. Now adays CPUs do not last very long without a heatsink. P4s have two forms of thermal protection. First the CPU will cut its speed in half to lower its temps, but if that is not enough the CPU will turn itself off completely. I nkow the original P4s use this and likely the newer ones do too.

Now you need a form of thermal interface material between the CPU and heatsink. Most retail heatsinks come with a small square of gooy stuff (like clay or wax) attached to the heatsink. Most to keep this pad from getting damaged have a peice of plastic covering it. It usually has printed on it something like "Warning remove this befor istallation or damage may occure to the CPU". You can scrape this thermal pad off and apply a thermal grease instaed. Arctic Silve III is one of the best and more redily avaluable and will keep the CPU a few 'C cooler, but the pad should still work better than that.

Make sure the heatsink is sitting correctly on the CPU. I have not built a P4 system befor, but on most other systems it is possible to put the heatsink on a bit sky-jawed. If it is not sitting 100% flat on the core, then the cooling capabilities will be reduced drastically.

If you did not peal anything off the bottom of the heatsink, then I would take it off and look quickly. If the thermal pad is damaged, then it will need to be scraped off and a thermal grease applied (very thin layer). Is there a fan on the heatsink. All heatsinks on modern computers MUST have a fan (that is running).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

well,i think i do everything right on installing the cpu and fan.
    so the temp is just 45c,i saw that in the cmos
    why the temp jumped to 75c after loading windows?is that possible?
    now i still running this desktop without any problem,it's stable and fast
    so,what i think is :the problem is in the software which give me the wrong temp
    by the way,the cpu temp is only 35c (cmos showing,the wrong softerware still showing 75c)when i use the fan and cpu which is in the same retail box(there are some heat sink on the surface of the fan already,but i didn't realize that until i do the wrong thing)
    when i use another heat sink which is in the mobo retail box, the temp jumping to 45c,because the heat sink is not compatible to the cpu,and these two heat sinks are mixed,so what i wanna notice you is:if you got the p4 retail box,just install it following the guide
    without add any heat sink,then everything will be ok
    Last edited by nn2000; January 19th, 2003 at 12:01 PM.

What software are you using to detect the temps? You might try something like Motherboard Monitor (MBM) 5.xx and see if you get more accurate temps.

Here is a link:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I'm assuming you stuggle with describing this is because English is not your native language. I have trouble making sense of you posts. You should change your personal setting to include a location.

i got some grammar error in that post,right?
    but not that confusable :-P

just a freshman in LA
    Last edited by nn2000; January 19th, 2003 at 12:09 PM.

Your shorthanding it too much. It so dijointed, I have problems understanding it. So basically you got a heatsink that came with the motherboard (likely a motherboard, CPU, heatsink package) and the CPU came with a retail heatsink. You installed the heatsink that came with the motherboard and got OK temps in BIOS, but crappy temps under windows. You switched out the heatsink to the other one and got slightly worse temps in BIOS and still crappy temps under Windows.

It sounds like the first heatsink was better and the application you are using is reporting the temps wrong. Like I said, get MBM5 and see what the temps are. Anything under 50'C is OK and it sounds like both are. BIOS is pretty close to load for temps as Windows sends halt functions to the CPU when idle to keep it cooler. BIOS can not do this. Full load would likely be only a few 'C warmer.

Thread Information