HELP Hard drive won't boot
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HELP Hard drive won't boot

HELP Hard drive won't boot

Got the computer up and runng no problem and then I had to tinker with things. Here's what happened...while moving cables around to add a second HDD I accidentally connected my HDD to the secondary IDE controller and CDRW to the primary IDE controller and tried to boot. Computer wouldn't boot. Could this have damaged the HDD?

Then I moved HDD back to the primary IDE controller and the CDRW to the secondary IDE controller, as it was orignally setup. Tried to boot and the computer didn't boot. Won't even boot from the Windows XP CD. I am not sure what to try next, clear the CMOS? Boot from a 3.5 floppy (which I don't have and would have to make)? Is my hard drive fried? (It shouldn't be because during POST I see that the hard drive is recognized correctly.) Also I have set a point for the system restore in Windows XP and am hoping that I can somehow use this. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Well I did a little research and found someone that had a problem with a WD hard that sounded like my problem. (Mine is also a WD.) During POST it takes a long time to find the IDE devices and when it does it won't boot from the HDD. Also it won't boot from the CD. I am wondering if the HDD is fried. Has anyone else had this problem where a Western Digital HDD goes bad just out of the blue?
    Last edited by bmmiller; January 15th, 2003 at 10:35 AM.

I use removeable Hard drive trays and get a similar error sometimes. The drive is still good.

Boot to the bios and reset the Extended System Configuration Data.
    Check the boot screen and see if the drives are recognized correctly and on the appropriate IDE controller. Hit the Pause/Break key to stop the boot sequence and read the screen, hit the Enter key to resume.

WD need a different jumper setting for Master/Slave present than Master or Single drive.
    Last edited by Leoslocks; January 15th, 2003 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks for the reply.

I was researching and it seems that I may have a jumper problem. I was adding a second hard drive, so I set the jumper to Dual (Master) and the computer was working fine with both hard drives installed. Then, I removed the second drive, didn't change the jumper setting on the first and tried to boot and that is when I got this problem. I will go home at lunch, set the jumper to single or cable select and report back what happens.

Quick question: Does it matter whether your boot drive is on the primary or secondary IDE controller? The reason I ask is that if I have my boot drive on the secondary controler the case is less clutterd.

Gee Leoslocks, I was going to post that! Actually I was going to click on "Submit"... guess iŽll have to hold it back, oh crap!
    Well, just not to lose the trip:

bmmiller, you could also try to detect or set the HD "manually". Are you getting any message from the system?

Originally posted by bmmiller

Quick question: Does it matter whether your boot drive is on the primary or secondary IDE controller? The reason I ask is that if I have my boot drive on the secondary controler the case is less clutterd.
    Oh, goodness! Late again!
    Well, iŽll try to write faster then...
    bmmiller: not usually, as long as you adjust the boot order in BIOS.
    There may be some trouble with OSes that addres the drives directly from the controller, like most Unices. DonŽt know for XP, though.

Turns out it was just the wrong jumper setting. I feel a little foolish but also relieved. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Success breeds success.

Welcome to the club.

Thread Information