Quiet fan/cooling system for Athlon CPU?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Quiet fan/cooling system for Athlon CPU?

Question Quiet fan/cooling system for Athlon CPU?

Hi,
    I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my Athlon 600 to perhaps 1,6GHz and an up-to-date MB w/ DDR-RAM. But my system is placed next to my monitor, and thus the buzzing from the chassi-fan and CPU-fan, as well as my IBM HD interferes w/ my sound-system and can be quite annoying to those who are not used to this noise-level up in ear-hight.

I would be very appreciative if some1 could please recommend some fans, cooling-systems and silent-HD:s for my future purchase. I am aiming at the mid-price section (not crap - not the fantasy of a speeded overclocker), perhaps some $10-30 for the chassi-fan and CPU-fan, and about $100-150 for a new HD (preferably IBM and 7200rpm).

Many thanks,
    Chrizz

I'm outa the cooling loop, but i'd reccommend not going with IBM drives, lots of members here have dead ones to attest to that fact.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Exclamation Crummy IBM-drives?

Thanks,
    did not know that IBM had such a crummy rep among the pro's! I currently run my system w/ a IBM 34GXP 20Gb HD at 7200rpm, and cannot say that I've experienced any problems.

But I am also curious about Maxtor's ATA-133 drives that come w/ 8Mb cache! If anyone who reads this thinks that this would be a better choice, then please come on in and sign in for that damn thing. Just be sure to post some sort of motivation for choosing Maxtor preferably to IBM!

Appr.
    Chrizz

Most of the newer drives impliment a quieter liquid drive bearing to run quieter. If you want real quiet, you might need to switch to a 5400RPM drive, but the performance would suffer a bit. For CPU cooling make sure you get a heatsink that is either solid copper or with a copper core and that can use an 80mm fan to cool it. The SK-7 is a nice one and it runs about $25 and uses a standard 80mm fan. For case cooling you should stick to case fans that run about 2500RPM. The only problem is most cases only have room for 2 fans and the fan grills are very restrictive. A good case like an Antec 10xx series or one of the many clones like the popular Cheifteck cases will improve cooling with 2 front and 2 rear 80mm fans with good fan grills. If you have a window or get a window, then the new LED 80mm fans are pretty cool looking (and generally very quiet).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

concerning the cpu fan:

i replaced my Coolermaster HHC-001 heatsink/fan because it was too noisy. i put on a DYNATRON DC1206BM-L. it's not silent, but it is much better for noise. they have the same model number with more than one fan that you can choose from.

i chose the 5300 rpm fan that puts out 24 cfm and has a noise level of 40 dBA. as i said they also put 7000 rpm fans on some of these, so you have to be careful if you don't want noise

the stock AMD XP2000 cpu had a hs/fan with it that i bought not long ago. i am not impressed with it, coolingwise.

i know you were mainly talking about hard drives

You could have just switched around two of the wires on the connector for the fan to make the fan run at 7v and be much quieter without buying a whole new heatsink. Free mod's are the best.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I heartily second all of Todd a's advice. Seagate Barracuda IV drives are reputed to be the quietest. For more info on quieting computers:

http://www.silentpcreview.com

Below is what I have and overall very quiet.

1. XP2000
    2. Case: Antec 630II - comes with a 350W PS.
    3. HS: Thermaltake Volcano 7, $15 (newegg) - I do not use the
    stock fan that comes with it. I also scraped the thermal pad
    and used AS-2 instead.
    4. HSF: Enermax manual adjustable fan, 8cm, $7 each (newegg)
    5. Case fan: same as HSF, 3x installed (2 outlet, one inlet)
    6. HD: The one mentioned earlier (Seagate model).
    I have both 40 GB and 60GB. Both quiet.

All 4 fans set at the lowest level. The CPU temp. is 49-52C w/o OC. System temp ~ 32C. The stock PS fan is also very quiet.

I have also found
    7. Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM
    8. Abit Ti4200 V-card, 64MB.
    are quiet, too.

As far as CPU cooling goes

I suggest looking into Thermaltake Volcano 7+

it is quite loud at full rpm and using aded 3 speed device doesn't help much
    but using it with 7 volt mod or with something like Zalman Fanmate makes all the difference

I would say as quiet as Zalman 5100 that I had before and better cooling
    My Tbread runs at 1700Mhz between 38C-42C(under full load), case temp 28C-31C

Originally posted by DanceMan
    I heartily second all of Todd a's advice. Seagate Barracuda IV drives are reputed to be the quietest. For more info on quieting computers:

http://www.silentpcreview.com
    I'll third that. Got a pair of 40Gb Cuda' IVs and sometimes I'm not sure they are working they are that quiet
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Thanks everyone,
    I really appreciate your info.

I was actually mainly thinking of a quieter chassi-fan.

This is my system (as far as cooling is concerned):
    ASUS K7M mobo
    Athlon 600MHz
    IBM Deskstar 34GXP harddrive
    SLC Colorcase MJ-701G case (probably totally unknown to anyone from outside Scandinavia)
    300W ps
    Creative Annihilator Pro GeForce 256
    all are mounted w/ original HS/fans

Because of my apartment (I live in a 42m˛ single-room w/ the most stupid placement of cable-jack), I've chosen to have my computer-case up on the same shelf as my monitor (for more efficient cleaning-abilities amongst other factors). Thus the fans annoy a bit, not that much during gaming, but mostly when watching either the TV or a DVD on my computer.

I've read something about cooling-paste, but don't know jack sh*t about it. What does it mean?

Also, I remember reading something about Fujitsu having a silent-drive system for their harddrives. Does any1 know anything about this?

Once more, thanks everyone for your time!

/Chrizz

Regarding thermal compound, my advice is to avoid Artic Alumina. I'm also not too impressed with just plain old thermal paste. My Athlon XP2000 dipped up to 53 C last night using it.

Many people use Artic Silver 3 and one guy told me that OCZ Quicksilver is good.

Thread Information