S3 twister drivers...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: S3 twister drivers...

S3 twister drivers...

In my HP laptop I have an integrated 16mb video card (that can steal up to 32 mb of the system's ram), but I have a couple of questions. Firstly I went to www.s3graphics.com to download a new driver for it and it gives me two a few options, two of which seem to be the same except for the fact that one says "with Hotkey" and the other is "no Hotkey", but heck of I know what Hotkey is, can anyone help? Secondly are there any other drivers, or other ways that I could use that might speed up the graphics on this laptop? Is there anyway to allow the "graphics card" to steal more than 32 mb of memory (since the system has 512 mb ram, I could afford to let it use more than 32 mb in many cases).

Thanks for your time,
    Matt

Re: S3 twister drivers...

Originally posted by Matt3d1
    In my HP laptop I have an integrated 16mb video card (that can steal up to 32 mb of the system's ram), but I have a couple of questions. Firstly I went to www.s3graphics.com to download a new driver for it and it gives me two a few options, two of which seem to be the same except for the fact that one says "with Hotkey" and the other is "no Hotkey", but heck of I know what Hotkey is, can anyone help? Secondly are there any other drivers, or other ways that I could use that might speed up the graphics on this laptop? Is there anyway to allow the "graphics card" to steal more than 32 mb of memory (since the system has 512 mb ram, I could afford to let it use more than 32 mb in many cases).

Thanks for your time,
    Matt
    No,
    you can't get it to use more than 32MB of RAM, the Twister core simply can't address more than 32MB of RAM.

If the RAM is shared, then it is an integrated graphics solution. Which unfortunately means that the graphics will always suck, and to be honest S3 graphics were not the fastest around, even when new.

I think, and I could be wrong, that the Hotkey function simply refers to the allocation of certain key strokes to bring up the various settings panels.

I don't recall if the Twister core supports texture compression, thats the only way I could think of possibly improving its performance in a few applications....? Its usually the 1 thing that S3 is good at.

Fallguy

Thread Information