Plextor is KING
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plextor is KING

Plextor is KING

Fedex has delivered PlexWriter 40x12x40S (UW-SCSI) to me today as promised.

I own 8 CD-RW: 4 TDK, 2 Creative, 1 TEAC and 1 Plextor (old)
    This new drive turn out be a take-no-prisoner "speed demon"
    None of them compete against the new PlexWriter.

I'm extremely pleased with this drive...sure I will brag about it...put up positive review on my site.

sweet......deal, Go! Plextor, A+
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gyx; January 8th, 2003 at 03:21 AM.

gyx, why only the 40x? and why scsi? they arent even going to continue making the scsi. they have the newer 48 and a 52 is soon to follow.
    Visit Us at OTCENTRAL.COM
    or
    XIBASE.COM

I have a TDK 52x24x48 in EIDE interface. PlexWriter 48x24x48 uses an EIDE interface as well.

Ultra wide SCSI is still faster than that, uses less system resource. I'm happy with what I have.

After all, the thing is free...
    Last edited by gyx; January 7th, 2003 at 11:18 PM.

If I remembered correctly, 52x speed is the glass ceilling for CD-ROM drive, this limit is achieved by Kenwood a few years ago, there's no logical reason for CD-ROM to go beyond that point, so there isn't a big difference between a 48x EIDE and 40x SCSI.

technical speaking, since SCSI device uses much less system resource than EIDE device, a 40x SCSI CD-ROM may actually outperform a 48x EIDE CD-ROM under most scenario
    Last edited by gyx; January 8th, 2003 at 01:23 AM.

gyx:

btw, F* LiteOn (Plextor wannabe)
    What is that, flame bait?

gyx:

I have a TDK 52x24x48 in EIDE interface. PlexWriter 48x24x48 uses an EIDE interface as well.
    How about you make this into a constructive discussion and actually produce some benchies for us since you have such a nice assortment of CD-R/RW's units there.

It's not my intention to insult those who own LITEON products, but LITEON product itself.

Alrite, I'll take your advice have the insult language removed to avoid any further misunderstanding.
    Last edited by gyx; January 8th, 2003 at 03:29 AM.

I wrote an email to LITEON marketing people shortly after I received PlexWriter.

I asked'em for a LITEON 40X speed CD-RW drive sample to compete with PlexWriter.

Personally I do not believe LITEON is any better than Plextor.

I have no proof on this till I receive the LITEON sample and run a burn-in test.

Yes, I'll post the benchmarks and that may take some time.
    Last edited by gyx; January 8th, 2003 at 03:36 AM.

I don't have any LiteOn products, nor am I particularily planning on getting any, so I wasn't directly insulted by your comments. But I'm one who appreciates a good debate to accompany a dislike for a product.

Without that constructive criticism, I'm instictively defensive of it.

In either case, I look forward to those benchmarks. CD-R/RW benchmarks aren't something we see a lot around here

Well i've used Liteon and they are just as good and reliable, i've owned Plextor and see no difference, and my 24X Plextor died after only about a year and a half, my 8x Hp still lives after about 2-3yrs and burns well, i can burn 700MB in 2min 27secs with my 48X Liteon, how long does the plex take?
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

PlexWriter 40x12x40S (with UW-SCSI interface) takes approx the same time, <3 minutes that is.

40x12x40A (EIDE interface) is a bit slower than the S model, it would take approx 3 minutes to burn a CD.

Plextor anounced the release of 48x24x48A (EIDE interface) not too long ago, this is the newest model. I'm not getting one till I fishish reviewing the one I currently have.

I don't see S model at same speed, samcurry said it has been discontinued, that's indeed a bad news.

PlexWriter drive features a black CD-holder tray, which Plextor lab tests found reduces C1 error rates. Optimized PCB circuits near the power supply help decrease noise and provide clean power to the drive, improving both jitter and deviation levels.

The good thing about Plextor is the product backed by a life-time warranty (repair at no-cost) you cannot go wrong with that.
    Last edited by gyx; January 8th, 2003 at 06:16 AM.

48x liteon ide drive is under 40quid here while the plexi scsi will be two or three times that price for the uw-scsi card alone.

not a hard value for money mark to make there
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Yeah my LiteOn 48x eide was only like $52 or so, and burns in around 2 mins a cd, I dont see the reason for paying more for the scsi drive
    Lefty McNut

AMD Barton 2500+
    WD 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
    Lite On 48x-16x-48x burner
    Lite On 52x Cd-rom
    ATI Radeon 9000 pro
    Kingston 256mb pc2700 ram (soon to be replaced)
    Antec Server case w/ 400w Antec PSU
    56k modem (grrrr)

Originally posted by gyx
    PlexWriter drive features a black CD-holder tray, which Plextor lab tests found reduces C1 error rates
    Why don't they tell everyone to color the edge of the disc with a green magic marker while they're at it?

i thought LiteON made alots of parts for plextor

gyx, you are a Plextor whore

Each to their own mate BUT I can tell you Plex are NO BETTER than Lite-On, why you would take a dislike to a product that you have never tried is beyond me.

I am off to the pub with the 60 I saved by buying a Lite-On, cya later
    Gigabyte 8KNXP P4 3.0 HT 800fsb 1024mb Infineon PC3200DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    3DMark2001SE= 17215 2x36gb 10,000 Raptors (RAID-0) Pioneer AO5 DVDRW Lite-On 52x32x52
    Iiyama 17" TFT UT+UT2K3 = Euthanasia

Thread Information