geforce FX
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: geforce FX

geforce FX

When are these supposed to be available? Does anyone know?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7021

IT WON'T JUST BE CREATIVE that will have Nvidia GeForce FX (NV30) graphics cards out by the end of the month, according to reliable sources in the distribution channel.
    By the third week of January, distributors told the INQUIRER that a number of different vendors will have units up for sale, suggesting that silicon is stable.

Specifications of one card we've seen show it has full DirectX 9 support, 128/256MB of memory, 16GB/s bandwidth and a memory clock of 500MHz (1GHz DDR II) running at two nanoseconds, and rendering 350 million rather than the 325 million triangles of the Radeon 9700 Pro, just as we suspected and Nvidia hinted.

One distributor close to the manufacturers' plans said Club-3D would be one of the first off the block with an NV30 card, using dual 400MHz RAMDACs up to and including 2048 x 1536 pixels at 85Hz, integrated NTSC/PAL support, video mixing rendering, and support for dual link DVI.

But, he added, a whole bevy of other manufacturers are also expected to go live with NV30 boards in the third week of January.
    nVidia stated there would be two flavors, a 500Mhz version and a 400Mhz version, but information that they sent to their shareholders makes it sound like the 500Mhz version will likely be a few months or more later than the 400Mhz one. It also looks like it might not have reached their targetted speeds and a 350MHz core might hit the streets first. Now the there was a targetted list price of $500, but I do not know which card this was for. If they charge $500 for a 350Mhz version, then ATI should still hold a good sized chunk of the market. Plus the RV300 and R350 are supposed to be out soon after and the NV35 and R400 are supposed to be out this summer (ATI is saying June-July for the R400). The GeForceFX is looking to be too expensive and too late with likely only marginal performance increases (and ATI still might perform better with AA and AF turned on for better image quality).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Of coarse this also means that with a possible release date of Monday, January 27th, that reveiw samples should be hitting major reveiw sites like Tom's Hardware and Anand Tech within a week or so. That also means that some performance numbers will likely slip out by the week of the 20th. They might launch the product earlier though is manufacturers and distributors are truely ready, so things might be a week ahead already and reveiw samples have been sent out.

Of coarse one web site I saw that reviewed an nForce2 board also said they just got in the new nForce2 X-PC from Shuttle. That is those spiffy small form factor cases with tiny iTX motherboards. This will have the full nForce2 lineup with dual channel DDR400, 200, 266, and 333Mhz bus, integrated 6 channel sound, NIC, GeForce4 MX graphics, Dual monitor and TV-out, FireWire and USB 2.0. Plus one AGP 8x and one PCI slot. The only thing it needs is a TV tunerbuilt in and it would be a perfect computer. Drop it a nice 80GB 8MB cache WD 7200 RPM drive, 2 sticks of Corsair XMS 256MB PC3200 cas2 DDR, and AthlonXP 2700+ (or Barton 3000+ in March) and a DVD-ROM drive and you have a powerfull computer. Drop in a Radeon 9700Pro AIW and your all set for gaming and TV/remote.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Yeah most of the "launch partners" should have cards out in January. When I asked Abit about end of January, they said that was being very optimistic since they spent that time designing the OTES cards. I'm guessing a mid-to-late-February release for Abit's cards..
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

Thread Information