Quake 1 ROCKS!!!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Quake 1 ROCKS!!!!!

Quake 1 ROCKS!!!!!

Just installed the tenebrae mod http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/
    and this thing is pretty kick A$$.
    Seriously, I am impressed and it really makes me feel like I did when I first palyed quake with my Monster Voodoo and thought it was the stuff!
    It's the same kinda feel.
    If you haven't checked it out, it's well worth it. You'll dig it. (it'll bring your system to it's knees!)
    Peace.'
    RIP
    Abit BE6 MoBo
    Celeron II 950 @ 1.2GHz
    256 PC 133
    Windows XP Pro
    Ati 8500LE 128DDR
    NEC 19" Monitor
    Creative SB Live! 5.1
    Maxtor 20Gig HDD 7200

Make sure to download the hi-res textures and redone objects (like ammo boxes). You can find the links at the Tenebrae page.

On a side note- if you have a Radeon9700, the graphics are sort of garbled. This has been a problem for the last two versions.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thanks for the linkage! It's been years since the ol glquake days. This looks like a worthy mod.

Thanks for the link! Those are very nice mods.
    Wish i can replay Quake 2 with these mods...

Originally posted by Berserker
    Thanks for the link! Those are very nice mods.
    Wish i can replay Quake 2 with these mods...
    I believe that someone's working on that. I found a cool mod of Quake 2 that makes it cel-shaded. I wish the source code for every great classic game was released so we could see more awesome homebrewn conversions.

funny how the graffics in this mod look better then most games released today, a little fsaa and this will look awesome
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

What are the requirements for Quake 1? I own and have played Q2 and every mission pack (even the 3rd weird one - or was it the 4th?) but never considered Q1. How would you run it in Win98? Does it run with hardware acceleration or in software mode? And wouldn't I need an old Voodoo 1/2/3 card to play it like so many other games from that time period.
    Last edited by Chiles4; January 6th, 2003 at 03:20 PM.

it can be played in win98. i think it is dos based but i have tried it in xp i think. it was originally software rendered but a patch came out which let you run it 3d accelerated i believe. it may have been 3d accelerated from the beginning but you needed to install mini-gl to get it to work on a 3dfx card. i dont know how to get it to run 3d accelerated on any other cards. for a game of that period it has amazing graffics when 3d accelerated, the gameplay was really good and it was one of the best multiplayer games ive ever played, its the first one i ever played actually.
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

I tracked down the reqts. and it says it's a Win95 game so theoretically it should run in Win98SE. I have a 3dfx Velocity 100 which is the rare V3 with only 8MB ram - the number of games this card could play well was pretty amazing. I also have the Matrox m3D add-on 3d accelerator which was good for the original Tomb Raider. Wonder if there was a PowerVR patch to run Quake accelerated on this card? Never heard of one.

This thread got me interested as I've heard about the new Q1 mods. But I read some reviews over at gamespot and I think I'd be one of those people who wouldn't be able to get over the aged graphics. Heck, I tried Thief 2 a little while ago and thought the graphics were pretty poor - but overall I didn't like the gameplay in either Thief or Thief 2. But I'm playing NOLF2 now so it's a little hard to go back that far!

i guess it comes down to is when you started playing games. i actually prefer quake1 in opengl compared to some newer games. all the new games are too complicated and filled with extras you dont need, its good to go back to basics and just play to have fun and not think alot. whod be interested in settin up a quake1 online game? if only heat.net was still around, that was such a good service.

how can you think that this http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/shots7/quake00066.jpg isn't good enough? you should have seen it when the game was new.
    Last edited by morphious; January 6th, 2003 at 03:35 PM.

Looks great but that's on a voodoo card with a minigl installed, right? I'm using a GF3 Ti 200 so my guess it's going to run in software mode, correct?

Chiles4, look for a file called opengl32.dll in your quake directory and rename it/delete it. GL Quake/Tenebrae will (should) run absolutely fine on all gf cards (I have a 4200 myself).

I wouldn't say it would run fine on anything less than a Geforce3. That mod will bring any system to it's kness running any resolution over 800x600. It ran great at 640x480 on my Geforce3 though. My Radeon 9700 can almost run it decently at 1024x768...

Thread Information