9000 pro, 9700 pro
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 9000 pro, 9700 pro

9000 pro, 9700 pro

Briefly, simply, tell me what the differences are,,cost for sure !

Really what would the difference be for the extra bucks?

The Radeon 9000 is a DX 9 card with budget performance levels. The Radeon 9700 Pro is the fastest card out there right now. It is able to run at 1600x1200 with 8x Anistropic Filter and 4x Anti-Alasing faster than the Radeon 9000 could at 1024x768. It is like comparing a Dodge Colt to a Dodge Viper. Why does the Viper cost so much.

If you don't have the money for the 9700 Pro, you can get the 9500 Pro. It is the same as the 9700 Pro, but the core and memory are clocked at 275/275 (instead of 325/310) and the memory bus is 128bit (instead of 256bit). The performance is still pretty good, close to the GeForce4 Ti 4600, but gets the nice scores with AF and AA like the 9700 Pro does (easily beating the 4600). Retail is $199, but it has hit the online destributors this week and can be had for $175 already. When the 3rd party versions hit, the price sould drop to the $150 range.

If you have the money, the Radeon 9700 Pro is worth it, The Radeon 9500 Pro a much better deal for price/performance. The 9000 Pro is a good budget card, but nothing more. If you are strapped for cash, then it is a good card.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

thanks tod, i'll take a good look at both the 9700pro and the 9500 pro,,,depends yes on cost,,but then again,,heck,,if i'm going to spend a good bit,,why not a bit more,,we shall see,,,and will post again to let you know what i get,,but i have to get something,,

ive been using this voodo3 2000pci for a while now,,and man, well, you know,,,been time to upgrade huh,,

so todd,,i always get confused and have no real clue as to why one price would be more for seemingly the same part,,,i never ever understand all that they write.

i cant say that i will watch movies through this pc,,,

it would be nice if i could use the tv as a monitor,,,

but anyway,,,i am looking for about a $200.00 vid card,,i do no video editing or movie stuff,,,just love to play some games at times,,alot as a matter of fact,,between my 7 yr old son and i,,well, this pc gets some game time for sure,,

running win98se
    shuttle av18e mobo
    cel 800mhz
    256sdram
    lite on 40x12x48
    52x cd
    this old vodo3 2000 pci
    17"monitor
    turtle beach santa cruz sound/connected to the home system
    microsoft intellimouse explorer
    general regular old keypad

i am also considering a new mouse,,a boomslang,,ive found a place to get a 2000, for 78 bucks and some change shipped,,

i guess what id like from you and or others, would be to make a recomendation on a vid card,,the 9500pro would be fine,,even if its a bit more than the 200bucks,,,at least thats what pricewatch shows,,in the 200 range,,starting at about 170 and goes up,,up ,,up and away,,ha

or, should i wait a bit to upgrade cause of price drops,,

Well, you'll probably also want a CPU upgrade to make the most of a high-end graphics card. Contrary to the hype Nvidia used to launch its hardware T&L cards, it's never really become a situation where it depends 100% on the graphics card and 0% on the CPU. Even games which use harware T&L will get better frame rates on better CPU's. And you can also look on MadOnion's site to see for yourself how much performance scales with the CPU speed. (Bearing in mind that 3DMark is a 100% artifficial benchmark, whose results are totaly unlike those of any actual game ever made.)

I guess it also depends on which games or genres do you play. If you're into economic games or RPG's or city building games, you'll likely need less raw 3D power. In fact, most of those are 2D. (Though exceptions do exist. "Die Gilde" has some really cool 3D graphics, although it's a mostly economic game. And "Gothic 2" and "Morrowind" are RPG's, but push the envelope of graphics processing more than any FPS available yet.) Probably a CPU upgrade will do you far more good than a graphics card upgrade for most of those games. Also, these kinds of games do not need millisecond reflexes, so they're still very much playable even at frames-per-second rates which would get you killed in a FPS.

Flight sims and racing sims tend to fall in between. Although a lot of them do have nice eye-candy, the physics model and AI will take quite a bit of CPU time.

And if you're into first person shooters, well, go ahead and upgrade the graphics card, because those are really just a graphics engine and very little else.

Been playing alot of UT, the old version, not the newer one.

My son plays different games and such which use a cd always put into the cd drive.

As far as a cpu upgrade, I think like a 1g is about all I can up it to. Will need to check that out. I believe in the past someone sent me something pertaining to all available cpu upgrades that were afforded to this mobo so I will check on some older posts to find out what cpu types are available to me. May do them both, the cpu and vid card.

Would the Radeon be a wiser choice over the Gforce? Surely depends on the person I guess. But, post your thoughts please .

Sheesh, may wind up with a new mobo, cpu, vid card, and ram.
    Heck, it may be best to up the mobo, cpu and ram, then see about the vid card.

Thoughts ?

yeah you could have a 9700pro and see improrovement for sure but you`d probably see more improvement if instead of:

9500pro for say 200 bucks
    that boomslang 2000 mouse for 78 bucks
    (gotta use the word bucks since this keyboard only has pound and euro signs)

so thats 378 bucks in total

what you could do

get a ti4200 card for about 130 bucks
    say a kx7 333 mobo or a msi kt3 ultra board for about 80ish bucks
    but sionce u have sdram a shuttle ak32 would be nice since you have the opportunity to go to ddr later. plus its cheaper. about 60 bucks
    and a amd xp 1800+ cpu about 80 i htink

so thats about 270 bucks in total and i would have said youve have a much nicer rig
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

REALLY ! WOW ! Where have I been huh.

So, get a new board, say the ak32, that's a shuttle right?, and the cpu, and I could use the sdram I have now, for now, and then later upgrade to ddr?

Also, get the vid card? Will check into pricing. Man I need the input for sure. Kool,,thanks for the advice and help. Let me check on pricing, will post somethings a bit later,,gotta go work for now.

yeah it is a shuttle.
    i did a search for that board about a month ago wheni was going to get it and it gets great reviews
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

I'd say what Marvt74 suggests is a better way to spend your "bucks". You will only be getting a DirectX 8.1 card but since DirectX9 games will probably only be coming out when the next generation of DirectX10 cards come out I wouldn't worry about that too much. I would say that Marvt74's suggestion of parts would give you a much bigger performance boost than just a 9700 Pro in your existing rig (although speaking from experience the AA and AF is pretty damn sweet on it). The 9700 Pro scales very well with higher speed processors so by having that 800 Celeron paired with it would be a huge graphics performance bottle neck.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video: 2 x MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II (CrossfireX)
    HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB
    Sound: RealtekŪ ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Thread Information