Monitor blues (actually whiteish)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Monitor blues (actually whiteish)

Angry Monitor blues (actually whiteish)

Recently my computer was upgraded at work from a 266 mHz to a whistling fast 400 mHz. Please stop laughing. Anyway this super computer comes fitted with a graphics card, and now I can see the monitor "better" I am noticing that when I open a white page like Word the screen rapidly dims to a kind of smut grey colour.

I have also noticed that the monitor appears more blurry than before (as if that is possible). Before codemning the monitor or the graphics card I thought I would test both to try and sort out what the problem is. For the graphics card I used Burnin Test which reports all OK, however, I am struggling to find some software that can test the monitor. Whilst you and I may agreethat in all probability it is the monitor, the monitor is about the best in the building (I kid you not), so I cannot just swap monitors. I need to be able to produce independant results so I can go and yell, beg, resign ... whatever it takes.

blurriness? Is the cable which links the video card to the monitor near any source of electrical interference? Try moving it about. Also, have you tried degaussing the monitor?
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Electrical interference is not increased particularly. We are an electrical shop so there is a number of electrical issues.

Degaussing??

Degaussing is a feature, explore around with the monitor buttons its in there.
    AXP 1800+ @ 1.533Ghz (Palomino)
    Soltek-75DRV4 KT266A ATA133
    Maxtor 40GB + Western Digital 80GB = 120GB
    Kingston 256MB + 512MB = 768MB DDR266
    Leadtek Winfast A350XT Geforce FX 5900XT 128MB
    Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP Deluxe
    SB Live! 5.1 DE
    Asus 16x DVD-ROM
    BenQ DW1640 16x DVD-Rewriter
    ThermalTake Volcano 7 HSF
    iCute Case
    iCute 480Watt Twin Fan PSU
    Philips 107T Flat CRT
    Philips A2.3 (2.1 Speaker)

Have you tried swapping monitors with another system to see if your monitor works on another system or if another monitor works on your syste. Thats the quickest way to check. Was the system replaced or just the CPU? It might be they do not have the correct monitor drivers installed. Did you make sure the cable was plugged in good. Have you tried adjusting the resolution or refresh rates and see if this helps.

Degausing is a button on most monitors. When you push it the image will distort and shake a bit then snap back.

I did switch one of my rigs from Windows 98 to Windows XP Pro. I had a VERY old monitor on it that could run 800x600, which is the minimum that WindowsXP runs for the desktop, but Windows for some reason sets the refresh rate to 85. My junky monitor could only run 85 at 640x480. After backing it down to 60 I could actually read stuff. I messed around with a few of the refresh rates with a tweek utikity to see if I could squease out a few extra Hz, but the image would blure and get darker. At 85 the image would rap around the screan a few times and I would see tripple stretched out images. Clicking my way around with three mouse pointers was a pain. I had to install an overclocking tool to lock the refresh rates so I could use it in 3D mode at 800x600. Just locking the refresh rate in 2D mode did not lock it to 60 in 3D.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information