AMD Athlon XP RAM compatibility
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AMD Athlon XP RAM compatibility

Question AMD Athlon XP RAM compatibility

Does RAM used with the AMD Athlon Xp have to be used with CAS2 or CAS3 or can it be both? Only I saw a rather confusing statement elsewhere. Crucial Memory however say that both should work!?!

Cheers
    Stephen

It is mostly up to the chipset and motherboard for stability at different speeds. Most decent motherboards can handle at least what the memory is rated for. That means most basic DDR memory will run at cas 2.5, but better memory might handle cas 2. You might have to lower some of the settings if you raise the memory or bus speed, but if you are lucky you can really crank up some memory. My Crucial PC2100 is rated for 266Mhz at cas 2.5, but I can run it at 2-5-2-2-T1 4way (which is pretty much as aggressive as you can get) on my EPoX board. My Abit KT7 uses SDRAM, but I can run it at 149Mhz with the same setting as above (which is about the same as running my DDR at 298MHz).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

State brand and full model of the mobo in question...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The Athlon XP will run happily with whatever RAM the motherboard its on will support.
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Thread Information