what is wrong with my video card?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: what is wrong with my video card?

Question what is wrong with my video card?

Hi everyone,
    I have a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 and when I was using it today, the power my house went out. Then after the power was on again, I turned on my computer but my video card wasn't showing the correct pictures on my monitor. I can't even see the words, just weird different colors. I've changed video to my gf 2 mx-400 and works fine. but not my gf 4 ti 4400. So do you think my video card blew up or something? I also have the lastest video driver installed. well thanks
    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like it might have been damaged by a power surge or shortage(forget what that's called). A good reason to always have your machine plugged into a surge protector.

Originally posted by phenix
    Sounds like it might have been damaged by a power surge or shortage(forget what that's called). A good reason to always have your machine plugged into a surge protector.
    Well if it's a power surge, do you know how to fix it?

A surge could have easily blown out any one or more of the chips on the card. It might very well be fried.

A surge could have easily blown out any one or more of the chips on the card. It might very well be fried.
    damn it!! what a...... grr what a waste of a video card. should I go get it fix or is there another way cheaper to get it fix?

Could try to get it rma'd. But someone else here would have to inform you on that as i've never done it.

Anyone...

Could try to get it rma'd. But someone else here would have to inform you on that as i've never done it.

Anyone...
    get it what? rma'd?

Sending it back to get remanufactured/refurbished...

Sending it back to get remanufactured/refurbished...
    I don't know that is possible because I bought this video online about 2-3 months ago.... damn..... anyway. thanks

Might be worth sending an Email to the manufacturer just in case.

Check the website were you got it from. The will likely have an RMA policy listed. Some handle the RMAs directly others will require you ro RMA it back to the original manufacturer... Abit, MSI, Gainward... You e-mail then informing them that the card failed to turn on when you turned the computer on (do not mention the power outage or surge) and you have swapped it out with another card, so nothing else in the system is bad. They will give you an RMA number and an adress you need to ship it to. It will likely cost about $3 or so to ship it back (if they have a US address). When they recieve the card they will send a new one out. This can sometimes take 4-6 weeks, but I have gotten memory replaced in about 10 days from Crucial with everything shipped ground. That is pretty good. Some will even let you purches a new card and they will credit your card back when they recieve the old one (Crucial also had this option along with a 1-800 number so I could get the RMA number right away).

Most of the time these cards have a 1-3 year or longer warrenty. It is a bit of a hastle, but you should have no problems. This process is much easier if you stick to good destributers and manufacturers.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

thanks Todd.. I'll try your plan..

Help would be useful

right numerous problemos here,
    i bought a pre made pc of someguy on ebay because of the good spec and low price
    BIG MISTAKE
    shouldve stuck to building my own
    Right well it had a PC CHIPS m810le mobo with onboard vga well onboard everything really and the graphics were useable even played gta3 pretty well.
    But i decided to get an exair gf4 mx440 64mbddr got that home and it wouldnt work, took it to a shop and found out it was dead. And since i got it at a computer market no idea what stall and no warranty (good waste of 60) So bought a mercury gf2mx400 as money was now in short supply.
    About a week ago the power unit blew. and seems to have killed the gf2 as whenever i play a game it looks up.
    Any ideas
    Need new parts (needless to say the motherboard sucks)
    but would be nice to be able to sell my old bits to or at least build a new one for linux.
    New ideas were a
    shuttle ak32
    Maybe an 8500 but not made my mind up yet.
    and 256mb ddr

ok that shouldve been a whole new thread but you can still help if you want

Thread Information