My optical mouse keeps flashing red
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: My optical mouse keeps flashing red

My optical mouse keeps flashing red

Hi,
    I bought a Logitech optical freedom mouse + Keyboard.
    Underneth my mouse there is a constant flashing red light, is that normal?

Mike

Youre joking right? Well if not, then yes, its normal. I too have a logitech optical mouse, btw. It uses a laser instead of a ball. What did you think optical meant? Anyway, it keeps a low glow when idle and lights up when in use. Not that its all that noticable unless youre busy staring at the mouse instead of the screen. With my hand over the mouse, using it, I dont even notice the flashing. If this is not what you were refering to, then youll have to elaborate.
    FIC AN11 Stealth mobo 1.53Ghz AMD Athlon XP 1800
    512MB 266DDR RAM
    60GB 7200rpm WD HDD
    Phillips 40x12x48 CD-RW
    Creative Soundblaster PCI128
    Asus Geforce3 64MB

Well,
    my question had more to do with, Why is it ALWAYS on (24/7)
    Even when my pc is off. It's just a little annoying to see a constant red light coming from your pc at 2:00 am when your trying to get some sleep...

Mike

Its always flashing even when idle/off? Hmm. Mine always has a low glow, but only flashes when I move it. Even when the comp is off, it still has a glow. As long as the comp is plugged in, it still has power going through it, even if its turned off, and thus your mouse too has power. The only thing Im not sure about is why it would be flashing when not in use. Its the same make as mine so I assume they would work similarly. Could be there is a problem with the light on yours making it always flash, because Im pretty confident that its NOT supposed to do that. Of course, I pressume that the mouse functions fine otherwise, just that flashing is not. What you want to do about it is up to you, but these mice are only like $20 so it might not be a bad idea to get a new one or exchange that one if you can. Or you can just live with it. I think Id find that annoying too, though.

Im still not entirely clear on this though. Is the light always flashing or just always on(low glow)? I have assumed you meant always flashing. If its always glowing, then yes, thats normal. If it ever stops glowing when the comp is on, thats when you have a problem.
    FIC AN11 Stealth mobo 1.53Ghz AMD Athlon XP 1800
    512MB 266DDR RAM
    60GB 7200rpm WD HDD
    Phillips 40x12x48 CD-RW
    Creative Soundblaster PCI128
    Asus Geforce3 64MB

if you are using the usb connection or the ps2?
    trout are freshwater fish and have underwater weapons
    trout are very valuable and immensely powerful
    keep away from the trout

Try updating mouse driver.
    Logitech Website
    "Money does grow on trees, but the banks own all the branches."

Phenom 9550 Quad Core
    8GB Kingston HyperX
    ASUS M3A78
    LG GH22NS30
    Seagate 320GB (boot)
    WDC RE3 500GB x2 on Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 with RAID1
    Sapphire 4830
    Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G
    CoolerMaster RC-690

Talking flashing not a problem

assuming your mouse is a wireless optical, it is perfectly normal for your mouse to flash like that. your mouse is not powered by your pc. it is powered by the batteries and therefore doesn't know if the pc is off. if it is laying motionless, there should be a soft glow and perhaps a flash every 20-30 secs. if it is flashing constantly, the problem lies in your mouse pad or whatever surface your mouse is on. some surfaces/pads has a pattern on it that confuses the optical sensors in the mouse to make it think that it's moving when it's not.

Thread Information