"My computer, she break..." (another alcohol + computer related incident)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "My computer, she break..." (another alcohol + computer related incident)

"My computer, she break..." (another alcohol + computer related incident)

When I installed an H20 rig in my PC early this year I was going to use a relay to turn on the pump automatically at bootup, but I held back since a few parts were brand new and under warranty and I didn't want to mess with them. Besides, I never forgot to turn the pump on - the one time I have forgotten, I soon realised and it was a non-event.

Got up yesterday, hung over after a pretty heavy night and needed to get some network config done for our house. I switched the PC on and left the room to make some brekkie. Got back and it had locked. Weird I thought, so I restarted it again and this time it hung on the bootup screen. Before I had even begun to think about what was up in my semi-drunken state, I heard a loud "BANG!" and a puff of what I thought was smoke got blown out the back of the PC. Anyway... it wasn't smoke, it was steam. Turns out that the water must have reached boiling point (or fairly close too) and one of the pipes on the CPU block exploded!!!

So the whole inside of the PC was sprayed with water and naturally, I crapped myself ('scuse me...). Anyway, I sealed the pipes...

...removed all the WC gear, disassembled the PC and left everything to dry overnight. This morning when I started it it wouldn't boot, so I assumed the CPU was dead (as you would after the water boiling 'n' all...) and unable to test it here at uni I ordered a replacement. This afternoon it actually showed some signs of life, booting intermittently. I disassembled it again and noticed that many parts were heavily corroded, obviously the result of electrochemical action. After clearing off all the deposition and flushing everything through with isopropyl alcohol the PC now works fine. Amazing.

So... a lucky escape. The moral of the story is that drink and PCs don't mix, unless you are in the habit of ordering expensive peripherals when pissed like CenturionStrategy, in which case the combination can be most rewarding.

MuFu.

P.S. Some good has come out of it - because I have no replacement 3/8ths pipe here at uni I had to re-arrange the WC stuff and now the layout inside is miles cleaner than it was before, with the radiator fan totally unobstructed. I might also get around to making that relay, finally...
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

lol!

The tubes looks even worse than i thought

Good to hear it turned out pretty well for you after all...you're one lucky mofo

hehe, another word of warning don't feed keyboards wine.

RecklessLeper managed to spill wine all over my lovely expensive peripherals, getting most of it in my keyboard...

I unplugged it, and let it dry out, 2 days later it still didn't work. So I took the thing completely apart, and found that there was still a thin layer of wine between a pair of plastic sheets inside. The plastic held the contacts, so the wine obviously didn't help. I dried them off, and bingo, it works again - saving the cost of a new keyboard.

Another story is about a flatmate who managed to spill beer in his monitor about a year ago. I fizzled a bit, and he turned it off for a couple of hours, letting it dry. Thankfully it worked afterwards. Still working today.

The moral is that spilling liquids in computer bits isn't the end of the world - take it apart and get all the liquid out, and the chances are it'll work again.

Happy Drinking
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

A similar thing happened to me a long time ago. I had a pelt-wc rig on a Cely 300A. The pelt had it's own AT PSU, so it had a switch, with no Mobo needed. Then the pump was completely AC, so it had to be plugged in/unplugged.
    One night I was just really tired and I turned off the comp and the pump, but forgot the pelt. So it sat like that for probably 3 hours! without catching fire to anything surprisingly enough.

But you can imagine my surprise when I plugged in the pump and steam started shooting out of my case for a few seconds, followed by a nice steady stream of water. I still have that (functioning) CPU, I still use the (Functioning) sound card, and the only thing that did get fried was my TNT2 vid card, which I actually got RMA'd, surprisingly. It was a diamond Viper V770 Ultra, and all I did was e-mail diamond about it "not working" and they actually shipped me a new one, without me ever sending the old one back.. which was neat. Cause the old one worked, just not past 640x480x 16 colors.

Fun fun fun fun stuff
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Originally posted by CenturionStrategy
    hehe, another word of warning don't feed keyboards wine.

RecklessLeper managed to spill wine all over my lovely expensive peripherals, getting most of it in my keyboard...

I unplugged it, and let it dry out, 2 days later it still didn't work. So I took the thing completely apart, and found that there was still a thin layer of wine between a pair of plastic sheets inside. The plastic held the contacts, so the wine obviously didn't help. I dried them off, and bingo, it works again - saving the cost of a new keyboard.

Another story is about a flatmate who managed to spill beer in his monitor about a year ago. I fizzled a bit, and he turned it off for a couple of hours, letting it dry. Thankfully it worked afterwards. Still working today.

The moral is that spilling liquids in computer bits isn't the end of the world - take it apart and get all the liquid out, and the chances are it'll work again.

Happy Drinking
    It sooo wasn't my fault! Tom (see thread entitled "Tom is FAT" somewhere on OTCentral) put the glass there and I didn't see it...

Wine + keyboard = temporary disaster

Jon
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Whoa, good to hear it turned out welll. If it was me I would have just cried and sat in the corner without even thinking about letting it dry out

I ordered 2 hdds, ram and a mobo totalling 500 quid whilst drunk Also killed a KT7, Athlon 1.2 that did 1.6 and some RAM with water, never started back
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Its not surprising cause you can wash your video card give it a chance to dry and it will work, at least mine did, think it was a viper 550 quite awhile ago. One store I read about throws used floppy drives that don't work in a dishwasher lets them dry and they work again for resale.

I've seen people use dishwashers for printers too. I wonder how good it works on CDROM drives as they seem to be the most problematic for me. The just don't detect a disk when I insert one. I've got two of these now. I have to eject and reinsert the disks several times befor it will detect it. Pain in the but. One of them is a CD R/W drive (only a 2x or 4X, but hey). I'd love to get it working again. Just fill it with water and shake it up good. I'm temped to give it a try. I think I have another only 12x CDROM from my mom's computer sitting in my basement. I'd love to get that working too.
    Last edited by Todd a; November 10th, 2002 at 05:31 PM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Optical drives suck. I'm always short of them too. Never though about completely soaking one and letting it dry. I've done it with other parts, but never tried a drive.
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53B C1 @2.85GHz (stock volts), watercooled @ 27*C load
    MSI 865PE Neo2-P (i865PE + ICH5), 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    ATi Radeon X700Pro 256MB AGP8x
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB SATA, Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 80GB
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-3520A), Lite-On 52/32/52x CD-RW (LTR-52327S)
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

My Heatware | My Beerology | My eBay rating

Think you need the action of a dishwasher rather than a tub although some have used a tub, to make water and soap move around then rinse to remove the soap which you wouldn't need alot of soap for this and let dry for 3 days, if there not working and ready to be thrown away I'd give it a shot with nothing to lose and test on a beater machine before using it on a good machine.

Originally posted by rangeral
    I'd give it a shot with nothing to lose and test on a beater machine before using it on a good machine.
    I think that's what always scared me away from doing it. Didn't want to risk that something was still damp or soapy and turn it on to fry something. I don't have 3 days worth of patience, lol

One dishwasher cycle (no soap) fixed up my keyboard good as new - after leaving it by a heating vent be sure it was dried out.

Glad you & rig survived MF.

Originally posted by xroyal
    One dishwasher cycle (no soap) fixed up my keyboard good as new - after leaving it by a heating vent be sure it was dried out.

Glad you & rig survived MF.
    Whoa, ya know, I just remembered I have a keyboard here that doesn't work, and I'm not sure why. I have another one that one of the keys gets stuck down sometimes because its dirty or something. Kind of forgot about them. I'll try to revive them tomorrow I guess.

Normal folks would probably loose their bowels reading this stuff.
    uninformed person" Hey come look at this. These guys are putting their coputers in the Dish washer. Maybe we can put the whole thing in to get rid of that virus we got"
    Opteron 148@2805(255x11-1.4v)
    Stock cooling(until I get a water block)
    Asrock 939Dual-SATAII
    1GB PC3200 OCZ Gold EL(2-2-2-8-2 1T 5:6 Divider)
    Sapphire X800GTO2(520/580 - Unlocked 16 Pipes)
    Antec TruePower 550 vmodded
    2x Western Digital WD-1200JS(RAID0)
    Lite-ON 1633S DVDRW
    Gentoo 2.6.14-nitro2

Thread Information