Success!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Success!!!

Success!!!

After a VERY long time, about 2 months. I have finally got my computer up and running smoothly again. I went through 2 Epox 8K5A3+ boards that were just crap. Now I am on a SOYO SY-KT400ULTRA that is just frickin awesome!

Had some initial trouble with the heatsink/fan. Had an AX-7 with an 80mm Chieftec case fan on top and it wouldnt work with the SOYO board because of the FOC, it wouldnt even boot....just shut itself down. I went out and purchased a thermaltake Volcano7+ that actually cools pretty well. I'm running everything stock right now and CPU temps are at 34C. Chassis temps are 26C. Thats at the highest fan setting also. WIth the fan on low so you cant even hear it, the temps go up to about 38C.

One problem though...I think the AGP port was bad in the Epox boards because my GeForce4Ti4600(PNY) board wouldnt work in either of them. So, I took a Voodoo3 and put that in this system because I couldnt find the 3-pin fan adapter that goes with my thermaltake all-copper cooling unit... SO now I have the kick-*** rig you see below, BUT running off a Voodoo3 PCI board...how degrading is that???

Also, as soon as I install the drivers for the Voodoo board, it takes forever for the computer to boot. It only happens after i install the drivers for the card. Is this normal when using this crappy of a card with this updated system?

Woo-Hoo!!! Kick-*** gaming with a Voodoo3!

Cheers!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    Athlon64 3000+ @2.5Ghz(Venice)
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's
    21" Gateway Widescreen LCD
    22" Gateway Widescreen LCD

I am working on getting my Soyo KT333 Platinum up and running. It is quite the nice board except that the Matrox Parhelia will not run Quake 3.

One other problem is that the optical mouse light stays on if I plug it into the PS2 port.

I had a similar problem with my heatsink fan. I was trying to use a Panaflow quite fan but it would not boot. The only other fan I had was an enermax adjustable and if I set it to max speed, it would boot.

This board boots slowly due to the HighPoint Raid controller nad all the stuff that gets loaded with Windows.

All Soyo boards from the Dragon up keep the PS/2 ports powered when the computer is off. I have 2 Dragon+ motherboards now and a Kt333 Dragon Ultra new in the box. I will have to get cacking to get her going. They are not the fastest boards out there, especially on power up, but they are smooth as silk and very reliable. Good job Soyo!

One other problem is that the optical mouse light stays on if I plug it into the PS2 port.
    That's because Windows doesn't completely shut down the PC. You can download custom shutdown.exe's that will take the place of the normal shutdown controller and they will completely turn the PC off.

So taking that long to boot is normal? My SOYO SY-K7VDragon+ (DDR266) never took that long. Strange that it only seems to take that long once i install the drivers for the Voodoo card. Everything else seems to run just fine.

I'm in the process of trying to get ahold of a new Ti4600 board. I really want the Leadtek one, its a bad-*** lookin board!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

my old dragon took forever to boot. first it beep like 2 or 3 times. then the video bios would finally come up, then regualr bios then it would do the raid bois then like a billion years later i would be running windows at the most unstable condition as possible.

question

How do you like the logitech Z-560's?

I've had them for about 4-5 months now....LOVE THEM. These things will rattle the fillings right outta yer teeth! They are great speakers, even better when coupled with a good sound card. If you listen to a lo of music, play a lot of games, or watch a lot of DVD's....I highly recommend them...

More than worth the $138 I spent on them!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Re: Success!!!

Originally posted by venom650_19
    After a VERY long time, about 2 months. I have finally got my computer up and running smoothly again. I went through 2 Epox 8K5A3+ boards that were just crap. Now I am on a SOYO SY-KT400ULTRA that is just frickin awesome!

Had some initial trouble with the heatsink/fan. Had an AX-7 with an 80mm Chieftec case fan on top and it wouldnt work with the SOYO board because of the FOC, it wouldnt even boot....just shut itself down. I went out and purchased a thermaltake Volcano7+ that actually cools pretty well. I'm running everything stock right now and CPU temps are at 34C. Chassis temps are 26C. Thats at the highest fan setting also. WIth the fan on low so you cant even hear it, the temps go up to about 38C.

One problem though...I think the AGP port was bad in the Epox boards because my GeForce4Ti4600(PNY) board wouldnt work in either of them. So, I took a Voodoo3 and put that in this system because I couldnt find the 3-pin fan adapter that goes with my thermaltake all-copper cooling unit... SO now I have the kick-*** rig you see below, BUT running off a Voodoo3 PCI board...how degrading is that???

Also, as soon as I install the drivers for the Voodoo board, it takes forever for the computer to boot. It only happens after i install the drivers for the card. Is this normal when using this crappy of a card with this updated system?

Woo-Hoo!!! Kick-*** gaming with a Voodoo3!

Cheers!
    It takes ages if you are using driver versions 1.3 or 1.4 on Windows ME or above.

Get a copy of some custom drivers that I found on the net from my website here. You can find them on the drivers page.

Hope this helps.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Actually I'm using Windows98SE...I see you have a Voodoo3 on a comparable rig to mine. Are you, or did you experience the same problem as me?

Which drivers am I to download from your site, I didnt see the correct ones at a quick glance. If you have any suggestions or advice to get this card working correctly for the time being I would surely appreciate it...

TIA
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

In fact, I think I had the same problems on 98... yeah, im sure of it.

If you want those custom drivers, let me know, but if you want the final official Voodoo3 drivers (im using them at the moment, wicked things) get them from here

Choose any, but im using 22 Nov 2000, 3dfx Voodoo3 V1.07.00, 8880k ZIP, Latest Final Version, WHQL Certified

They are great, and don't have that stupid wait time error during boot-up.

Hope this helps
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Voodoofiloes has oll the official drivers for 3DFX cards and tons of 3rd party drivers and patches. I am using the 1.08.02 (follow instruction very closely to get it to install correctly) with the 1.9 beta2 patch installed. It includes great tweek and overclock tools and runs flawlessly on WindowsXP Pro. I have a Celeron 900 and I built a system for my neighbor out of spair parts with a K6-2 450. My Celeron has a Voodoo3 2000 and his has a Evil King 3 (3rd party manufactured Voodoo3 3000 that I found for him for $18 a few months back). Both run great.

http://www.voodoofiles.com/category.asp?x=13

I still wish 3DFX was still around. Things would be a lot more interesting, even if they were a smaller player in the 3D market like Matrox. Long live the King.
    Last edited by Todd a; November 10th, 2002 at 09:55 AM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

After installing new drivers, problem appears to be solved. She now boots faster than the flash on crack...

Thanks guys!
    DFI LANparty UT-DR SLi
    2GB Mushkin PC3200
    Twin PNY 7900GTX's SLi
    Audigy 2/Logitech Z560's

Thread Information