19" : [AOC 9A+] vs [LG 995FT+] vs [Samsung 957DF]
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

View Poll Results: What's your monitor of choice ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • AOC 9A+ (Diamondtron)

2 22.22%
  • LG 995FT+ (Flatron)

3 33.33%
  • Samsung 957DF (DynaFlat)

4 44.44%

Thread: 19" : [AOC 9A+] vs [LG 995FT+] vs [Samsung 957DF]

Unhappy 19" : [AOC 9A+] vs [LG 995FT+] vs [Samsung 957DF]

Hi,

I want to buy a new monitor and my options are:

- AOC 9A+ (Diamondtron) ~ $320
    - LG 995FT+ (Flatron) ~ $350
    - Samsung 957DF (DynaFlat) ~ $320

What would you go for ? (and shurely why )

And a question about Trinitron/Diamondtron:

Because of the holding device of the grill I heard that on this monitors there are 2 horizontal visible lines on light backgrounds.
    Are that annoying or disturbing or "very visible " ?

Is this a reason for not buying a Trinitron/Diamondtron?

thanx!

The lines are only visible on light surfaces and I only see them when someone reminds me they're there. Actually, I only ever see the top one really.

I don't know anything about these monitors, but I do know I like Samsung so...
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

I've seen too many Samsung monitors develop brown onscreen blotches (even streight out of the box) and I've been impressed by the LG monitors and TV's I've seen, so my vote goes that way.

Hay as long as it can do 1600x1200 at 85Hz their all fine by me. They likely all use the exact same disply anyways and come with most of the same features and warrenty.

Also was that a 995DF or 955DF for the Samsung. I tried to find it on NewEgg and they showed a Samsung DynaFlat 955DF 19", but it was only $210 +$26 shipping. It sounds OK, but only does 1600x1200 at 68hx.
    Last edited by Todd a; November 2nd, 2002 at 09:04 AM.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Hmm... tough one between the Samsung and the LG. I've heard mixed reports about AOC so I'm not too sure about them. Certainly, Samsung seem to be favoured more in reviews than LG, but from personal experience I'd favour the latter. The Flatron monitors, despite sometimes having mild geometry and moiré issues (I guess the latest models aren't as affected by these early problems), have impressed me more. Having said that, as Todd a said, any of those three would probably be ok.

As for the lines... they aren't distracting at all. You soon get used to them and they "disappear".

MuFu.

Agreed. The lines really aren't a problem. I just bought a Sony E430 19" monitor. I figured that they were all the same underneath (well all the ones with Trinitron tubes), so I went for the one which has the best outside casing. Everything about it is pretty cool, and picture quality really is excellent.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Even so, out of that list, I'd probably go with the Samsung - had a 17" a while back which maintained its image quality very well.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Originally posted by Todd a

Also was that a 995DF or 955DF for the Samsung. I tried to find it on NewEgg and they showed a Samsung DynaFlat 955DF 19", but it was only $210 +$26 shipping. It sounds OK, but only does 1600x1200 at 68hx.
    The 955DF is an older model.
    The 957DF is better and does 1600x1200 at 75Hz
    I saw one today at a friend hwo bought it a few months ago.
    It looks realy nice - good color, clarity, refresh, even at 75Hz for 1600x1200.
    But when I put on the Nokia Test screens there were serious geometry problems. The circles in the top left and bottom left were ovals and nothing could be done about it.

Before this I tended to take the Samsung but now I'll do the same test on an LG 995FT+ at the shop and if it acts better I thing I'll go for the LG.
    On the other hand, from a few sources I heard that the Flatrons develop colour purity and geometry problems over time so relly is a big dilemma betwen the Samsung and LG ...

Is Flatron technology reliable enough or should I go for the ol' Shadow Mask ?

you gotta squint really hard to see the lines

I saw The Lines !!!

I looked the other day at a CTX a Sony and an AOC
    (Trinitrons and Diamondtrons)
    and to me those lines are really ugly, even with all the advantages of that technology I wouldn't put one on my desk ...

So will it be Flatron (LG) or DynaFlat (Samsung) ?

how close are you to the monitor? ergonomics advise optimal 2 ft away .. you have to be really close to see them ..how can you say they're ugly..sorry but ill take my NATURALLY flat screen over some "faker" flatscreen

in your case ... get a flatron ..I don't like the dynaflats..they're not truly flat ..at least flatron has somewhat of a case... i think they use a hybrid of AG and invar...basically an AG w/o the lines.. .

Hey, about those lines, din't mean to offend anybody
    The truth is that I looked closely for them, knowing that they are there (the lines).
    Apart from other things I'll do graphics on the monitor I'll finally buy and I thought I wouldn't stand the lines.

you won't notice the lines at all after a while..

and although i don't know the AOC I can't help but reccomend the Diamondtron screen in my iiyama 452pro - although iiyama often manages to get better quality displays out of them - something to do with the circuitry..

right on that one weeboll. It has been said that mitsubishi uses better circuitry than NEC ...thats' what i've heard at least

Thread Information