Alternate TV tuner drivers?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Alternate TV tuner drivers?

Alternate TV tuner drivers?

I have a ATI TV Wonder VE, and the drivers for WinXP are sketchy at best. Their beta drivers fix the video glitches, but the sound is screwed. The CD drivers have video problems, but the sound is OK. My attempts to hybridize these drivers have failed.

I was wondering if there were any 3rd party programs that can run TV tuner cards better. I've tried Dscaler, and it works great, except that it won't allow me to change channels.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

What chipset is the card based on? If it's Brooktree (BTxxx), you're in luck, there are many other drivers to choose from.

I had to turn down the sound input levels on my sound card. This helps quite a bit (I run it at about 1/2 to 1/3 volume to get it to match the other sound levels in the system). Also I ditched the crappy sound patch cable. I used an RCA cable with converters on both ends. This cut down on interferance quite a bit. It still has no base, but much better than befor.

I wish they would finish that beta MMC 7.60, it just rocks, but not all the features are working yet (of corse they did release what looks like the same program for the Radeon 9700 Pro All-in-Wonder ).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

wrathchild_67m,
    Is there a way to find out which chipset I have without having to remove the card? It's the stand alone tuner card, not part of an AIW or anything like that.

Todd A,
    The audio isn't a problem on the older drivers. For some reason the newer drivers screw up the sound, as it is very, very quiet and I have to max volume on everything just to hear it. If only I could get the video from the new drivers and the sound from the old, I would be set!

I did the work for you:

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

Your card is based on the BT848 chipset.

Wow, I just had a look at what the drivers can do and I was amazed! You can capture video at 60fps instead of 25! I should get out my BT878 based card and try these things out. Playing Dreamcast and PS2 isn't a dismal prospect anymore!

hmm,

I tried it, and the picture and sound worked, but the install seems wrong, as WinXP keeps asking me for the drivers? The other major problem is that there is no option to select USA broadcasting. That seems pretty critical since all the channels I receive are broadcasted from here . I guess I will need to toy with it some more, but thanks for the assistance.

This program accesses your BT chipset directly
    It also has other ..err....added benefits.

hVCPlus

I recommend version 5.1 rather than 6 (it runs better under WinXP for me)
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Thread Information