[RESOLVED] How to install OS on Toshiba Portege 3110CT ???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to install OS on Toshiba Portege 3110CT ???

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] How to install OS on Toshiba Portege 3110CT ???

Hi, I got a Toshiba Portege 3110CT, no CD-rom, no floppy disk....

My hardisk is empty i can't boot into anything and also can't access the bios setting..... i would like to know how to make my notebook boot into the harddisk so i can install operating system.

thanks...

Purchase an external floppy drive, or remove the hard-drive and format and copy the windows cd onto the portege hardrive from another laptop or an 2.5 to 3.5" external adapter which can work from a desktop.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Originally posted by glussier
    Purchase an external floppy drive, or remove the hard-drive and format and copy the windows cd onto the portege hardrive from another laptop or an 2.5 to 3.5" external adapter which can work from a desktop.
    still gonna have problems with drivers, etc. when you put that HDD back in the laptop - I'd load all the portege drivers you need in one folder while you've got the HDD in the other machine so you're ready to load all the laptop devices once it boots

that lappy ain't much use without at least a floppy drive or a cdrom drive, and you can probably get both for "cheap" if you shop hard at ebay, etc and/or all the liquidation or refurbished sites using google - might even consider the pcmcia cdrom drives as Toshiba probaly wants to charge $100 or more for their standard fare

thanks glussier and resource ....
    as you said resource " I'd load all the portege drivers you need in one folder while you've got the HDD in the other machine so you're ready to load all the laptop devices once it boots "

but the problem is I can't install windows while the harddisk is in another computer because all the driver will be conflict, i cannot load or install the driver when i haven't setup the windows yet... However, even those i format the harddisk with system file to be able to boot and put windows setup folder on it so when i put back it can boot into the harddisk and setup windows from there. The problem is even those i do that the toshiba notebook still can't boot into the harddisk. I understand that a laptop without floppy and cd-rom is bad but do you know anyway that i can do it without purchase floppy and cd-rom.. ???????

I didn't say to install window from another laptop, but to install your hard-drive onto another laptop, format and sys the drive, copy the win install files onto your hard-drive. Then, reinstall the hard-drive on your hard-drive and proceed to install windows from your lappy.

But, you should consider getting an external floppy drive for your laptop.

How come there is no floppy drive on that laptop? I believe this laptop was being sold with an external floppy, and optionnaly with an external cdrom drive.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

The laptop come with external floppy but i lost it when i moved house.. as you said " format and sys the drive, copy the win install files onto your hard-drive " on the other laptop i am using windows xp pro so i did it like this:
    format /fs:fat32 d: (d: is toshiba portege 3110ct harddisk)
    and copy windows 98 install folder on it but when i put it back into the portege 3110ct it still cannot boot into my harddisk.
    So how you do the format and sys the drive as your way ????
    can you show me step by step ..... many thanks glussier .....

Assuming the surrogate laptop has a floppy drive, boot it up with a Win98 bootdisk then do format c: /s (or d: as in your case). I don't know enough about WinXP to comment on its format /fs: ....
    Last edited by Kguru; November 18th, 2002 at 01:44 AM.

As Kguru said, you will have to boot your other laptop from floppy, to be able to properly format the drive. You did formatted it properly, however you failed to make it bootable. If you don't have a boot floppy handy, get a win98 startup disk from [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/b].

Now:

1- Install the Portege drive onto the other laptop

2- boot the other laptop with the win98 startup disk

3- If you other laptop drive is formatted in ntfs than your portege drive will be c: otherwise it will be d:, so replace the x: in the following command with the proper drive letter:

Since the drive is already formatted, you don't need to format-it again, just copy the system files on it:

sys x:

4- Since the window cd is already copied to the drive, just reinstall the drive in the portege laptop. Now, it should be able to boot from the hard-drive.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

thanks Kguru and glussier ...

i put the harddisk into my friend computer which run windows 98 and then i format the drive like this format c: /s .. and when i put it back it work.. everything is fine now...

thank you...

Thread Information