Power Supply
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power Supply

Hybrid View

Question Power Supply

I think I have a bad power supply. How can I check it. I have a tester, but I am not sure how to check leads. Do I check one of the four pin plugs with the leads and which ones do I check? I have a red lead on my tester which is hot and black lead which is ground. I know the red wire on the four pin plug is the hot. Is the black the ground? Is the red 5v or 12v? How about some help.

What your trying to do will only check the no load voltage and not give you a true picture of the condition of the power supply. If you open the power supply up you will see marked on the printed circuit what the voltages should be. I can't remember exactly what colors are what but you should see +5 -5 +12 -12 (I Think???)

When I turn power switch on nothing happens everything is completely dead. I tried checking one of the four pin connectors with a tester and got 2.6v dc. I don't know what that means unless it is coming from the motherboard battery? I tried the tester in the main power plug that connects to the board with the tester and I get nothing. I ordered a new power supply from Directron. Will try it when it comes. If still dead then I guess it has to be the board or the cpu.

Could be the switch also, you can esily test this out by shorting the two pins that the power switch is plugged into. Thus, by-passing the switch to see if it comes on. You can short these pins with a screwdriver if your comfortable doing that, but that will at least let you know you don't have a bad switch. If you already got a new psu coming wait till then, but you can try this if a new one doesn't fix it.

Unhappy

Tried shorting the power switch still no power. So now could still be power supply and/or switch.

Well, I think you just ruled out a switch problem, so a new power supply installation is the best way to go from here.

Thread Information