Just wondering... AS3 on RAM
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Just wondering... AS3 on RAM

Lightbulb Just wondering... AS3 on RAM

Just wondering... I have an aluminium heat spreader for my RAM which I used on some PC133 when I had my K6-2.

When I removed the bloody thing, all of the compound stuff that touched the chips peeled off. I am now left with a semi-compound heatspreader. I have got all the glue off and it is smooth as a babies behind, but I was wondering, would it be ok to put some AS3 on the RAM chips and then put the heatspreader on, or would the AS3 damage the RAM chips.

I know its a longshot that it would damage anything, but I have seen pictures of AS3 burning the bottom of heatsinks and was just wondering if it would do the same to the RAM

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

P.S. I have just started up a website about computer modification. It isn't really anything at the moment, but once I start to mod my new machine, you can expect tutorials and videos to appear. It also has a forum on, which I am hoping to get many people registered with. The address is in my signature. Thanks

If I am breaking HWC rules by doing this, then I am sorry. I do not want to upset anybody. Also... for HWC admins... you can expect to see links to your site all around my site!!!
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

i would personally not recommend trying to use as3 on your ram because of a few reasons. first, it does conduct electricity (put some between two contacts on any board and watch the board fry) second, as3 does not have any adhesive to hold the heatspreaders on, unless the heatspreaders have some sort of clamping devices. instead of as3, i would suggest you use artic alumina, check here because it is an electrical insulator yet it conducts heat. it's all up to you though.
    asus ncch-dl 2 x intel xeon 3.2 (sl7td) @ 3.6 (16*225) 4 x 512 mb corsair pc3200 2.5-3-3-6 ati r9800 pro 256 mb 2 x wd 74 gb raptor (raid 0) winxp pro sp2

Yes it is conductive and can damage the card. I use AS2 on my cards, but I keep it away from the edges of the chip and apply a VERY thin layer.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thanks for the input, you have saved me from wasting 45 UKP, as I dont think my supplier would cover the cost of burnt RAM. LOL

Thanks again and ill have a look into other compounds.

Oh... I have got some Akasa stuff, which is pretty good, would it be ok to use that? I have put it on my Voodoo3 and it seems fine.
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Thread Information